Air conditioning EL Falcon

laneyjan, Apr 14, 9:11pm
HI GUYS.EL falcon airconditioning really noisy.scared it will seize.would an earlier unit be the same ! what would second hand one be worth! either EL or one model earlierthanks.air still cold but noisier when on.

jason18, Apr 14, 9:24pm
Pretty common for fan bearings to start making noise. My BA was doing it. I pulled fan unit out a few times grease and wd 40 and now is quiet as.

unbeatabull, Apr 14, 9:52pm
Depends what part of the unit you are replacing. The A/C Pumps are pretty much the same from ED-EL and should bolt on without hassles. They do start making noise, but being that old of a car I'd say it would be a bit past the ole grease up to fix it, and generally its a lot easier and cheaper to just get a S/H unit then to recondition the current pump

cuda.340, Apr 14, 9:52pm
what part is noisey! the inside fan or the engine compartment compressor!

elect70, Apr 15, 1:06am
Most likely fan,they only run in plastic bushes& seize up ,. If its the comp then replace it

laneyjan, Apr 15, 10:12am
its the compressor in the engine bay running on the alternator and water pump belt

cuda.340, Apr 15, 11:19am
ok on the compressor is a magnetic clutch, is the noise coming from the belt area or from the main body!

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 15, 11:38am
Define noisy: Rumble, chatter, squeal, chirp, clunk, rattle.

Define conditions: all the time, only when the A/C is on, sometimes when the A/C is on, at idle, when driving, on hot days, on cold days.

Throw us a frick'n bone here.

laneyjan, Apr 15, 9:11pm
Its a rumble like a bearing.not squeak rattle or belt noise.not sure if it is clutch or bearing but is much louder under load when A/c is on .sounds like it needs replacing hence my question about other falcon models being the same as its easier to get one from wreckers.not worried co much about cold air as it seizing and breaking the belt which would affect other belt driven bits.thanks

laneyjan, Apr 15, 9:19pm
HI GUYS in particular will an EF compressor fit my EL! I suppose it will need regassing at some hundreds of dollars as well!

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 15, 9:24pm
Have you tried locating the noise using a screwdiver handle to your ear and the shaft pressed against the A/C and water pumps and the alternator!

To be honest it doesn't sound like A/C compressor bearings because the clutch has one and that turns only when the clutch is disengaged, and the compressor has another which turns only when the clutch is engaged so you'd expect to only hear it at one time or another time. Unless they're both in poor states.

What it sounds like is waterpump or alternator bearings - the tension in the belt increases when the A/C clutch engages and this may be the reason the noise is always there but increases when the A/C compressor kicks in.

laneyjan, Apr 15, 10:35pm
thanks Tony.the water pump and power steering pump have just been replaced and its definitely coming from Air conditioning.will try the screwdriver trick to see which part of it.

laneyjan, Apr 15, 10:36pm
the alternator is over the other side so hard to confuse