Any mechanics OR owner of Peugeot 307 here?

madeley, May 2, 10:05am
Help! Have to use my car tomorrow.

The car's engline light is staying on.my manual is in Japanese! If you are a mechanic can you ps give me some idea of what it could be and if I can drive on it safely for about 30kms to get to nearest Peugeot dealer!

crudeawakening, May 2, 10:45am
Hi there. The light is on because the engines computer has noticed a problem. Ideally you wouldn't drive it any further then needed but if u need to drive 30km I would, assumIng it doesnt make any bad noises or vibrations. It's common for these vehicles to protect themselves by shutting down if it knows it's in a bad way. Just don't do any unneeded travel before someone looks at it

madeley, May 2, 11:32am
Thank you.So would it always be a major problem.like the motor.or can it be minor things also!

I'm phoning Peugoet dealer in morning, after school run, and getting it into them.

andrea_w, May 2, 12:00pm
It could be a LOT of things, there is no way to tell without it going on diagnostics.
An engine light certainly doesn't mean the petrol is low, it's an warning light and is designed to get your immediate attention for a good reason - there is potentially a major problem with something.
Ignoring it and continuing to drive could cost you nothing, or it could cost you an engine. It's completely up to you if you drive it or not ;)

snoopy221, May 2, 12:04pm
Help! Have to use my car tomorrow.

The car's engline light is staying on.my manual is in Japanese

Dat;s okay ya brain is in engrish.

engine/CHECK ENGINE loit-usualy means a sensor failure-techo computer speak lingo ain't getting to da main brain (engine managment computa).
check da basics. oil water fuel-eyeball da gauges.
k

intrade, May 2, 8:50pm
you need a obd2 code reader that will tell you why the light is on . with a code that you then can look up. cheap ones are like 60$ in europe supermarkets even sell the cheap ones.

intrade, May 2, 9:00pm
basically you check water and oil fluids thats all a normal car user can and should do and keep a eye on the temperature gague just in case. but the code should be read as soon as possibile to figure what the computer thinks is wrong. its not always what is broken or faulty but a good mechanic should then be able to exolain what part of the engine has showen a warning fault.

madeley, May 2, 10:57pm
Thanks guys.The light has now gone off!However my mechanic read the computer and it says "misfiring 4th cylinder".I don't really know what that all means, but they are holding the car today for further testing.Also in the mornings especially my car literally shudders; he said this may or may not be related.Fingers crossed; can't afford much.