Peugeot Hdi = Awesomesauce.

djrandomguy, Jul 4, 5:55am
We went ahead and bought ourselves a 2001 306 HDi manual.Picked it up in the bay of plenty on Friday. Made very short work of the drive back to Auckland and used bugger all fuel.Someone had mentioned to me earlier that these cars//engines have a very narrow power band, and while that may be true the gear ratio's are a perfect match for the engines peak output so 90-110 km/h is dispatched in 5th gear with a slight tap on the pedal, perfect for overtaking. The purpose of this post is really to bring to light just how good modern t-diesel motors are when compared to an equivalent petrol unit, petrol may put out more power on paper, but on a long drive there is no comparison. Highly recommend if you can find a good one.

morrisman1, Jul 4, 6:29am
congratulations. now get it tuned and if you are really keen get an intercooler. You can go from 90hp to 120hp with just a tune but with intercooler can go up to about 140hp. No increase in consumption. Only problem is if your clutch is getting on in its years the tune up could cause some slippage.

Lots of resources on www.pug306.net, I suggest you join

vjregal770, Jul 4, 6:52am
Saw a 508 GT today.never even heard of one, but man, what a looker!

trouser, Jul 4, 7:42am
Had a 1.9 diesel turbo fiat punto and that was a fantastic open road car. Power everywhere in any gear.

td and open road are perfect for each other.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 4, 9:52am
Good on you poster 1.
Just to clarify its not that these are Turbo Diesels that makes them so good its because they are Common Rail Turbo Diesels.
Just in case someone gets excited about buying an old mechanical Turbo Diesel and gets disappointed.

esprit, Jul 4, 10:03am
The 306 is a cracking car :) I've got a GTi6. not quite as fuel efficient as the diesel, but a lot more fun :)

djrandomguy, Jul 4, 3:00pm
no more Gti's for me.For now. Maybe.

djrandomguy, Aug 31, 1:41am
apples & apples indeed. got smoked out by a couple of rattly old jap vans today.as morrisman pointed out, mod's are easily done, but i gotta sort the cambelt etc 1st.