Motorbike #469304137)

kecal, May 13, 8:23am
anyone got any comments / both good& bad about these bikes.
learner rider50 yrsnever ridden a bikemuch .would like toget out and about .

pebbles61, May 13, 8:26am
Can't comment personally having never owned or ridden one, but a few people I've met who have quite enjoyed them. Would be fine for a learners bike or commuter, but would imagine one would get bored of the lack of power in a few months (or weeks lol)!

motorboy2011, May 13, 8:42am
guy at work in his 50's had one, he raved about it, even brought it to NZ with him from OZ

kaymay88, May 13, 9:08am
Have ridden a few of them myself, and two of my friends currently have them. One has had hers for several years, the other has had his for 3 years. Neither person has ever had a problem with them, they are solid, reliable little bikes.
They are ok up to 100km/hr, but if you come up behind someone who is doing 90km and want to over take, then like most 250cc bikes, its a wee bit of a struggle but they will get there.
Being a 2005 model, and having reasonable kms, I think thats a very fair price if it is as pictured.

would be a nice little cruiser to get your leg into the biking scene.

969pnz, May 13, 9:23am
Sweet,if lazy little bike for commuting and easy cruising.Size can be an issue with headwind, hills, or an XL rider.As with any machine, service records count.
Oh,and look at rider tuition. A good instructor can help you get more from your bike,and perhaps save your life.Most important,though,if you buy a bike,use it and enjoy the thrill of biking!

kecal, May 13, 9:33am
yer ok ill rush in 2morro and get it ,cheers nice looking though

tshop, May 13, 9:40am
Very stable a highway speed, but 120km is probrably all it will do, not that nimble quite a long wheelbase, poor passing power. GN 250 is slightly better but.

bitsy_boffin, May 13, 11:13am
Excellent bike, cruisy, smooth power delivery, reasonably comfortable, "big bike" looks.

There's a reason there are so many copies of it these days - I owned one when 250 cruisers were still rare things in NZ.

You won't get more than 120, and that's on a good day, but hey the limit is 100 anyway.Overtaking requires some planning at open road speeds, but again, 100 is the limit anyway.This is a cruiser, sit back and enjoy.

Don't know why tshop says a GN is slightly better, because it's not, in any way better than an XV.I have owned both, and the XV is very much the better bike.

Only thing really is that the pegs are pretty easy to scrape, not that it's much of a problem, but you do end up with scraped up ends on them in short order :)

kecal, May 13, 7:20pm
bitsy boffin, yes speed not a worry reallyas i said iam 50 ish sono drama there.are you saying its a copyand if yeshow do you differentiate between the 2. ta mike

ringo2, May 13, 8:43pm
Yeah just what a 50 year old wants to learn on.pmsl

jcwholesale, May 13, 8:58pm
kecal One of the better bikes to learn on. GN250s are crap I am afriad, I have owned both.

kazbanz, May 13, 9:33pm
kecal- As 250cc cruisers go imo its definitely one of the better ones. As far as your question re copies is concerned don't worry. If its got the yamaha badge its not a copy.
Mechanically they are a great little bike. with no real vices-top speed is 120
Negatives-1 as long as you are under 5 foot 6 youll be fine with the roomany taller -especially if tall and its pretty cramped.
A VERY easilly fixed negative is that some of them have huge diameter throttle and clutch (side) grips making getting smaller hands to the brakes/clutch a bit more difficult.-actually in fairness a LOT more difficult. usually resulting in compromising maximum braking to get the levers in the right position.
Also -PURELYmy opinion. The handlebars aren't set up for learner riders.The angles are all wrong.
BOTH of these are really easilly fixed if this is the case for you. It'll cost about $100 all up for normal size grips and flatter handlebars.
--ohh and welcolm aboard -biking is fantastic fun

shorty88, May 14, 3:28am
Get an 883 sportster and no L.

sifty, May 14, 4:06am
Don't think they want a girls bike.

kaymay88, May 14, 6:54am
the GN is a horrible, budget, cheap and inferior bike.
the virago is a way better choice.

with regards to kaz comment on height, longets ive done in one go on these it 280km, im 6'1 1/2. i had no issues and actually found it quite comfy.

p.s. that diavel is an ugly piece of junk, no thanks!

tshop, May 14, 7:36am
Youre joking! the GN 250 is the most reliable L bike $ can buy. I redlined mine all day everyday for 3 yrs & after selling it to a circuit racer, he was keen to work it for track use, cheap's right, inferior cough, cough, value for money absolutely with excellent resale value, "S" is for sweet.

fryan1962, May 14, 7:50am
I am 6ft5 I learnt on a CM250 which was Honda chopper not bad for leg room,
Very similar bike good to learn on

kecal, May 14, 8:53am
Thanks for all the commentsit seemsthis is what ill look into.Have a couple to go look at,thankyou.

mantagsi, May 14, 9:46am
Earlier ones were fine. todays ones which are built in SE asia to poor standards! heap of shit unfortunately!

kaymay88, May 14, 11:05am
no, Im not joking. People buy GNs because they are cheap. thats it. Suzuki flooded the NZ market with cheap peices of rubbish, which gave riders and potential first bike buyers the perception that lots of them meant they were a good bike.
The sheeple of NZ bought that without question,

The GN is pretty close to the bottom of the list of bikes that are good for a learner, i could make a loooooong list of the superior bikes, and most of them are pretty close in terms of 2nd hand price as long as you are patient and wait for them to come up for sale.

anyone who thinks a GN250 should be heralded as a 'good' bike clearly lacks enough experience, on a wide enough variety of motorcycles to be deemed a competent and experienced enough person to make observations about overall quality and worthiness of any bike, period.

tshop, May 14, 11:09am
What! theyre the samedesign nothings changed because it hasnt had to, block, driveline theyre bullet proof, reliable, in actual fact the later are bored slightly & the heads worked, so its the new China metal thing right ahhh I see.

tshop, May 14, 11:15am
Youve failed to name one thing besides your personal superior opinion sir know all, opinions like life are 50 50 not 9010 boy.