Pick whats wrong on this car

Page 1 / 2
mantagsi, May 11, 8:48am
Those did indeed exist as a factory model, whats wrong with it!

40wav, May 11, 8:49am
Hmmm. Firstly, there does not appear to be a turbo anywhere. Secondly, Cops would not be seen dead sitting on that maroon crushed velvet the seats appear to be made from.

mantagsi, May 11, 8:50am
FWIW I know two ex business partners who bought a matching pair back when they came out, and one of them managed to lynch his turbo commie in spectacular fashion on a boat ramp, apparently the flywheel shattered or something odd like that. I could be wrongbut all the old SLE turbo commodores seemed to be either dark red like the one in your link, or dark red and black two-tone (black at the bottom) - quite smart looking when tidy, but beware, pretty primitive turbocharging system!

mantagsi, May 11, 8:51am
Look harder, cant you see the turbo to the right of the engine with the SU style carby hanging off of the side!

mantagsi, May 11, 8:52am
being a non crossflow head engine, and a non-intercooled setup they are dead simple, all very compact too

jmma, May 11, 8:53am
Its got twin brake boosters and a SU carb (o:

mantagsi, May 11, 8:56am
I know that somewhere I have a 1981 or 1982 Aussie Wheels magazine with a full writeup and some beautiful colour photos of these turbo commies as well, I just remembered, I wonder if I can find it. Has LOADS of info on them too

edangus, May 11, 8:58am
Not really. Please fill me in.

It is a legit model.

savanna19, May 11, 9:00am
ugly as a dogs ass

lauren54, May 11, 9:07am
you make a habit of checking out dogs arses regularly then!

noswalg, May 11, 9:10am
I was under the impression that the only turbo commonwhores had the RB30et in them. I just about bought one once!

mantagsi, May 11, 9:12am
Yeah, they are a lot more common - if you are still keen, good luck finding one that hasn't had the everloving shit flogged out of it though! Most of the time the holden engineers took it pretty easy but every now and again they released some pretty interesting oddballs.

noswalg, May 11, 9:13am
oops actually just read the spiel and see it's a special police only model.

40wav, May 11, 9:13am
You really only need to check out one once to make a lasting comparison to anything.

mantagsi, May 11, 9:14am
http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/139965-vh-cdt-turbo-commodore-14 - heres what you could make from this auction if you had a lot of time and a lot more money

40wav, May 11, 9:14am
Is that the straight 6 Nissan engine!

mantagsi, May 11, 9:16am
RB30ET in the VL commodore turbos is indeed a nissan engine, 3 litre single overhead cam, same family as nissan skyline / cefiro / laurel etc

40wav, May 11, 9:20am
I had a station wagon with that in it. Bloody good. Could power slide on the tight bends over the Takaka hill, but I think it was more to do with hangin the big ass end out than power of the thing. Really good fun though.

chris241, May 11, 9:20am

lordv81, May 11, 9:27am
Its not dodgy or anything,but a couple of oddities are the turbo motor in a Vh cop car for starters.I thought all turbo Vhs were CDTs,the car is a factory auto but has the manual set up,all Vh cop cars were BT1 spec but this one is notcompletely a BT1 nor is it a CDT specs model.But you never know what the Aussie cops ordered even though the BT1 308s would have eaten a turbo fed 202,and at the time the aussie police were wanting a uniformed car with standard police specifications across the country so seems wierd that they would order some odd ball out of spec car.

whqqsh, May 11, 9:42am
yup, flywheel was a weak link, I turned up 2 for a South Auckland dealer not long after they were introduced. that was after one of their clever boys decided turning the guts out of a standard one & fitting a ring (shrinking on, screwing etc) would be a good idea, wouldnt listen about different expansion rates etc etc & warped horribly several times

i-n-horz, May 11, 11:38am
That's one hill you'd want to get your powerslides right first time.some unforgiving twisties there.

74nova, May 11, 8:25pm
Its amazing what people see or don't see.no turbo and twin brake boosters!

floscey, May 11, 8:28pm
ewww, what was right with it!

ghost-roaster, May 11, 9:09pm
It's a standard turbo model. In NZ (if think) we only got a few VK models with the turbo on them when they did their run out before the VL went on sale. i put one in my Torana and they go hard.