I accidentally backed into an unregistered car

Page 1 / 2
holymonked, May 8, 10:52pm
in the local dairy carpark, we swapped details and parted amicably. But I was wondering if my insurance still has to pay for damage to an illegal car - can anyone shed some light!

xpfairmont, May 8, 10:56pm
Yes your Insurance will still have to pay, just like they will pay you out if you crash while speeding.

holymonked, May 8, 10:59pm
Right, thank you.

a.woodrow, May 8, 11:08pm
It wasn't their fault that you backed into them so why would they have to wear the cost.!

sifty, May 8, 11:10pm
yeah, it's like saying 'would I be in trouble for running someone over if they are an overstayer'.!

You pranged, pay up.

holymonked, May 8, 11:24pm
Now now people, the car without the rego shouldn't have been driven in the first place. I understand I was completely at fault, and am quite happy to pay the consequence - it was a minor dent in the door by the way, nobody was harmed.

a.woodrow, May 8, 11:27pm
Why, was it unsafe because the rego had run out! Vehicle licensing is only a tax you know

bellky, May 8, 11:38pm
Worse than an insurance company looking for a way out when it WAS YOUR FAULT. Pay up!

eagles9999, May 9, 12:17am
I just knew you were hinting at this.But its just like you had backed into a lamp post. Heard somebody in court once try to use the " shouldnt have been driving" excuse when he went through a Stop sign and hit an unregistered vehicle. LOL!

rob_man, May 9, 12:24am
Is it legal to shoot someone if they are behind with their income taxes!

bellky, May 9, 12:27am
Of course not - they should have been working/paying their taxes, not getting in your sights.

hutchk, May 9, 12:55am
What part of "I understand I was completely at fault, and am quite happy to pay the consequence" did you not understand! Should the OP draw you a little picture!

bellky, May 9, 12:56am
Yes picture required thanks.

steve312, May 9, 1:02am
Then why is he on here asking advice about whether his insurance should have to pay or not!Looking for some support suggesting he isn't liable because the other car wasn't registered.

bellky, May 9, 1:30am
Also it could be, I'm not saying it is:
"Then why is he on here asking advice about whether 'his insurance' should have to pay or not! Looking for some support suggesting he isn't liable because the other car wasn't registered."

jenny188, May 9, 2:15am
IRD kill a few every year.Some sort of quota / bonus system.!

lookoutas, May 9, 5:21am
Could you try something else as an example. Not too sure whether to disregard this one.

msigg, May 9, 5:39am
Simple if its a minor dent then don't even consider insurancecompany, just pay them some dosh. Done. No insurance record.

grangies, May 9, 6:40am
Depending on the car. A minor dent can still be a considerable amount.

ginks, May 9, 6:53am
Car was unregisted, should not of been driven.
Their problem not yours.

steve312, May 9, 6:56am
Who said the unregistered car was being driven!

It is the OPs responsibilty to make sure the damage done by them is put right.

sw20, May 9, 7:03am
Advice is what you ask when you already know the answer but wish you didn't.

kazbanz, May 9, 7:07am
Yep here we go folksheres a representation of EXACTLYthe mind set of the "I don't accept responsibility for my own actions" brigade -along with the OP

andrea_w, May 9, 7:12am
A little knowledge can be dangerous.

quater, May 9, 7:19am
And what if you backed into a race car sitting on a trailer, would you still be asking the question! Your not mean't to crash into other cars either so does that make you an illegal driver! not worthy of acc compensation!