Failed wof car to low at front

Page 1 / 2
brants, Apr 2, 10:20pm
Can i put some weight in the back and hope it raises the front enough or is there something in the rules against that !

Its lowerd on king springs back is quite abit higher than the front

bellky, Apr 2, 10:26pm
You can get these plasticy coil spacers that fit between the coil and its seat. They are apparently legal and will give you about 10mm lift.

brants, Apr 2, 10:45pm
I thought about something like that aswel.
Any idea who sells them!

Also thought about some extra psi in the tyres dont think that will go very far tho.

After thinking about it more i dont think putting weight in it will help at all haha.

Such a stupid reason to fail it being a little bit too low hasnt caused me any problems in the 6 years of driving it. First wof one of my cars has ever failed.

martin11, Apr 2, 10:51pm
Put the original springs back in

esprit, Apr 2, 10:59pm
Generally king springs won't lower a car to be lower than the 100mm legal limit unless they have broken or sagged excessively, in which case they're knackered and should be changed.

Put some factory standard springs back in and be done with it :)

bellky, Apr 2, 11:18pm
I got mine from Autolign West Ak.

berg, Apr 2, 11:32pm
I'm constantly amazed by the amount of people in NZ who seem to know far better than a vehicle manufacturer (who have spent multi millions of dollars) regarding their vehicles suspension. Take Evo's and WRX's whom Mitsubishi and Subaru respectfully spent multi millions getting right for the Australasian markets only to have some Kiwi "expert" ruin with $300 King springs. Every time I've asked why I get the same answers, it looks cool and it handles better. Surely if it handled better on normal roads (not many of these lads venture onto tracks) the cars competing in the targa would also be super low and totally non complying in the suspension travel department.

bellky, Apr 2, 11:37pm
You are 100% correct.

".it looks cool and it handles better." It does look cool but only handles better around corners on a smooth road at moderate speeds; once you get up over say 120 on an undulating, pot holed, or uneven surface then lowered cars have crap handling.

ninja_man, Apr 2, 11:40pm
mm

my dad's 07 wrx is far to soft, stiffer springs would improve its cornering quite a bit. Adjustie's are even better. king springs are crap, and often sag

berg, Apr 2, 11:43pm
The last Evo I had "issues" with didn't even handle at 100kms. Was bouncing all over the road on every little undulation. When checked it had after market adjustable suspension of dubious origin and springs so hard they could not be compressed even with two 80+kg guys bouncing on a corner. Apparently it handled way better than stock, Tui anybody

berg, Apr 2, 11:47pm
Stiffer not always the answer. Check out most road race cars and the suspension still provides complyance for uneven road serfaces. Have seen a few Evos crack strut towers and rear suspension by the owners going too stiff with the springs. Most just seem to think in the genitel sense, harder is better

hopie, Apr 2, 11:52pm
undo the nuts that hold the shocks in - in the engine bay, lower the shock down, load the bolts up with a couple of washers, then put the shocks back thru and put the nuts back on. simple.

on a side note, you can lower a car abit more by doing this but in opposite

esprit, Apr 2, 11:53pm
On the road a lot of people equate less body-roll with going faster. which is almost never the case. Compliance and weight transfer is essential to good handling on the road.

martin11, Apr 2, 11:55pm
We were buying a car a few years ago and had a look at quite a few that were lowered and had had the cert done and most of them you could find cracks around the spring mounts . They may look good but probably handle like shit

gadgit3, Apr 3, 12:02am
You can't fail a car just because the front is lower then the back. you can fail for the car being too low (less then 100mm). but not for the fact the rear is higher then the front.

ninja_man, Apr 3, 12:08am
i was thinking more along the lines of trackracing, not everyday road driving. Stock suspension would be better for road driving cause NZ roads are so sh*t.

johnf_456, Apr 3, 12:20am
Before going in boots and all, I would get a second opinion or third. Why go to all that hassle if its not even needed for example if one inspector got it wrong.

twink19, Apr 3, 2:38am
you cant be serious

bigfatmat1, Apr 3, 3:02am
Spent all that money designing something comfortable that handles ok is cheap will tow a boat get up a drive fit 6 fat bastards in it 2 dogs and a boot full of piss. Designing something that most people will enjoy that's not to rigid not to soft and handles moderately on a variety of roads in alot of countries makers also get it wrong. Very few cars are designed with the best handling and ride height the car maker can achieve. They are MULTIPURPOSE cars are made for the masses NOT the individual so those $300 springs might in fact improve the handling.

steve98h, Apr 3, 5:56am
inspector didnt get it wrong. having a car thats lower at the front then the rear or other way round is in fact a fail for a wof. just checked the virm and its clearly states its a fail.
cheers, steve (wof inspector) lol

brants, Apr 3, 6:24am
Its at the transverse member where its too low i measured it and got 95mm. I dont know why they bother with stupid things like this i would have got around it somehow its just a waste of time.

He didnt mention anything about the height difference front to rear.

brants, Apr 3, 6:35am
Vehicle manufacturers also offer lowering springs so i dont agree with your point. I know what your saying with the difference between our roads and a track but my suspensions not overly stiff.

If you were looking from the side you wouldnt think the car is really low either.

matarautrader, Apr 3, 6:50am
Watched a Skyline with lowered suspension the other day try to negotiate a drive. Came out on a 45 degree angle to stop the stupid plastic bits underneath from hitting the ground, then because of the hard suspension ended up with one rear wheel off the ground and going nowhere. Fast! Don't think so. A baby could crawl faster than that Skyline.

brants, Apr 3, 6:57am

ryans, Apr 3, 7:40am
I understand your point, but car manufacturers have to compromise between a hard or soft ride, for example. Some people don't mind a harder ride, so they'll get rid of the compromise and get what they want.