Couldnt you just shove the car into neutral?

Page 1 / 2
jason18, May 17, 8:47am
Or jam brake on and handbrake and then try jam it into any gear you could! Neutral, Park or do hyundai cars not let this happen!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring/6940186/Stuck-accelerator-causes-peak-hour-terror

bigfatmat1, May 17, 8:47am
yes you could even use your brakes

gram, May 17, 9:05am
Oh dear, another Hyundai. At least he didn't lose his ear eh.!

kevymtnz, May 17, 9:11am
turn off the key as soon as it happened! duhhhhhh

smac, May 17, 9:13am
Yeah but then the steering lock kicks in.

andrea_w, May 17, 9:16am
Only in OFF position on the ignition
Turn it back once to ACC, no steering lock.

There are numerous ways to get out of a situation like that. unfortunately most people are too stupid to know what to do

richardmayes, May 17, 9:20am
I have a feeling the kind of person who owns a Hyundai would keep on going, riding the brake just hard enough to maintain normal speed. until they fade and don't work anymore, and then (s)he's off like an unstoppable Korean rocket.

a.woodrow, May 17, 9:40am
Will be a floor mat jamming the pedal like the toyota fiasco a few years back

smac, May 17, 9:46am
Yeah I know, I'm just thinking that somebody who doesn't even brake isn't likely to be able to switch off the ignition then know to switch it back on.

Admittedly it would give you a hell of a shock, but this guy had several seconds to figure out where the brake pedal was.

icemans1, May 17, 10:58am
how dumb can people be. my first car was a simca 1000 at the age of 16, i had it for 2 years and in that time, the spring came off the carbi. i NEVER crashed the car - i just heavily applied the brakes and turned it off when it was moving slow enough

a18a, May 17, 11:53am
reminds me of the time i had some tape covering a hole in my intake manifold, the motor sucked that in & my car decided it's gonna accelerate. i thought it was funny

lugee, May 17, 12:00pm
They don't mean turning it back on. The steering lock is only activated in the OFF position. With the engine running the ignition is in the ON position. So by taking it one step back into the ACC position, you kill the engine and still retain full steering.

pollymay, May 17, 1:52pm
My windom 3L went full throttle once in the middle of town, I just bumped it into neutral and sat there going RUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN on limiter. Cruise control unit shorted out. Just turned it off after that.

It was no slug either, had some go if you planted it.

smac, May 17, 8:12pm
Yes I KNOW this. It depends on the car actually. The point I'm making, that you're missing, is that if a driver is so poor they don't go for the brake in an emergency, they sure can't manage turning the car off without locking it up.

jason18, May 17, 8:48pm
Very true. People like this just shouldnt be driving.Common sense really! Imagine the poor bastard he hit at the speed. Going to have back problems for the rest of your life

mrfxit, May 17, 9:06pm
Yep same rules for a run away diesel engine on a manual gear box.
fast as you can, drop it in 1st gear & stomp on the brake.
PRY the clutch stays together.

Same sort of trick as tow starting a vehicle & for "drive freeing" stuck clutchs.

But yea . unless you are a "mrfxit" type person, you would never think of simply stomping on the brakes till you can get it back under control

rsr72, May 17, 9:14pm
.and not to forget the 'asian driver' syndrome.

smac, May 17, 9:16pm
We were discussing this back when the toyota issue was around. Some guy said he wouldn'tput it in neutral because he'd be worried about damaging the engine from over revving (no limiter I guess).

FFS, you have a car that is stuck WOT in traffic and you're worried about engine damage.

My RX125 used to stick open on frosty mornings.THAT was a fun ride. Revs weren't gonna stop that little 2 stroke!

sr2, May 17, 9:44pm
It's better to use a higher gear. (+1 on praying the clutch stays together).

xpfairmont, May 17, 9:45pm
I just pulled the key out, But my LTD had already cut a Jappa in half at that stage. All happens so quick. Dragged the brakes 5 or more meters.

tonyrockyhorror, May 17, 9:51pm
Somewhat like how people don't know what to do if the car starts to slide, so they panic and make it worse because now if anyone gets caught trying to find out, they have their licence shuffled into dust by petty bureaucrats and then their insurance premiums sky rocket.

jgoater, May 17, 10:34pm
straight into neutral, manual or auto, and problem solved in less than 1 second.

mrfxit, May 17, 11:16pm
Depends on the rev's I think, sorry not had to personally deal with a runaway diesel but have plenty of times with tow starts/ jammed throttles/ stuck clutchs/ stuffed/jammed ign switch's
Tho heres a thought, 1st/reverse gear are the strongest gears in 99% of gearbox's

mrfxit, May 17, 11:17pm
Agreed but only solved part of the entire problem for another few seconds.

hamishcookie, May 17, 11:39pm
I had it in my 120y going though national park, throttle stuck on and I drove a couple of km just turning key on and off until I found somewhere I could pull over that wouldn't end up with me stuck in the ice.