Couldnt you just shove the car into neutral?

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, May 18, 12:51am
Ya know Id'a said its just not possible for a person to do somnething like that.
BUT yesterday a person took one of my cars for a test drive.
They drove fine then tried a parallel park.-short version --the car smashed into the car in front with its engine/tyres squealing.] trying to push a larger parked car forward

ema1, May 18, 9:02am
Froze at the wheel and panicking I suspectthinking (or not) of what he could do, heck you can travel a fair old distance while thinking about what to do!
I mind boggles on thaty! Kill switch neededeh.

NZTools, May 18, 9:16am
It's a whole lot easier to stall an engine oruse the barakes to overcome it in a high gear than it is in a low gear.

johnf_456, May 18, 11:33am
As what others have said, drop it in 5 gear or 6th. Less power in the higher gears so theoretically easier to stall it.

mrfxit, May 18, 10:02pm
hang on a mo, sorry will clarify that bit.
The 'runaway diesel" example was for a stationary vehicle.
Diesels also have huge torque & can sometimes mince high gears in that situation.

At road speeds, you need to slow the vehicle down, by putting it in a higher gear, you allow the engine to rev as high as the gear will allow which takes a lot more to drag down.
Remember, a wide open throttle will allow MAX revs way PAST the redline on vehicles that don't have a rev limiter (7 / 8 /9k +) & it's only the brakes & or gearing combo that will hold it down.

Yea high gear if still moving fairly slow will work, but open road speeds . nope.