Honda MTF

lugee, Jul 2, 4:21am
So far I can only find 1 place that stocks MTF, the Christchurch Honda dealer and they want $38 a litre for it. Does anyone know of anywhere lese that sells it, or something similar from another brand!

pandai, Jul 2, 6:26am
Any repco, supercheap, and even the warehouse will have manual transmission fluid.But there is only one place that will have the Honda fluid.

hrt, Jul 2, 6:39am
Check what oil its actually supposed to take, some of them run engine oil in the gearboxes

mugenb20b, Jul 2, 6:42am
That's correct. 10w30 engine oil or just use ATF.

audi_s_ate, Jul 2, 6:45am
Only run Honda MTF in the gearbox. It is a well proven fact any other fluid is not as effective and most lead to quick destruction of the box.

mugenb20b, Jul 2, 6:51am
Proven by whom! Hondas are also known to make weak gearboxes and transmissions anyway and if d.heads thrash them, they won't last long.

hrt, Jul 2, 10:00pm
Pretty much, yep

audi_s_ate, Jul 3, 2:28am
Well known across multiple honda forums. I would agree about the auto's but manuals hold up pretty well. My vtir had 210k plus of generally hard driving and had no sign of worn synchros or notchy shifts. Changed MTF once, in that time with genuine and never had a problem. Its only 2.3 litres so the extra cost is hardly noticable over 200k.

lugee, Jul 3, 3:13pm
Its a 1989 Honda CRX Si. The manual states 10w30 engine oil, however this was before the age of MTF and in the 90's Honda released a bulletin saying to swtich to MTF to prolong transmission life etc.

By the way, Honda MTF is like $8 a litre in the US, vs $38 here, what the hells up with that.

lugee, Jul 3, 3:43pm
Well part of it is that I hear that it can help shitfing, and my 2nd gear can sometimes be a bit notchy so I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Honda MTF is 75w-80 API GL-4 gear oil, so theoretically, Valvoline Duragear 75w-85 API GL-4 (closest match) should be nearly identical while being half the price.

pandai, Aug 25, 2:03am
In the Accord I used to have, I changed the MTF at around 160,000km, as far as I knew it was the first time this had been done.I used the Honda MTF and the gearbox was indeed easier to use on cold mornings.