Car recommendations please

Page 1 / 2
1grasshopper, Jul 2, 11:41am
We were looking at a 2002 -06 Mazda Atenza Wagon, but they seem to sell for around $15k and having looked on here similar age cars with less kms and what seems like more features are selling for under $10k (which is ideally what we would like to spend).But now I have got myself confused.We need 4doors (family vehicle) 3 x3point belts in the back seat preferably, enough space to fit 2 carseats with an older child in between occasionaly (one carseat is rearfacing).We live rurally, 8km from town, 3km of which is unsealed and full of pot holes, so something that can handle that (our current car does not - it scrapes the whole 3km nearly) most of our driving is going in to town to do the shopping or pick up kids etc mostly at 70-100km/h but as I said its only about 8km. Also would prefer to buy a car thats done under 100,000km if possible and manual (would settle on tiptronic but dont really want to).What would you buy!

(Sorry Jazz DP wont agree to a passatt)

curlcrown, Jul 2, 12:17pm
$15k seems a lot for a 2002. Low km isn't the be all and end all, you can get a newer higher km NZ new mazda 6 with full histry for less than that.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 2, 12:49pm
I would have probably suggested a Volvo XC70 but if proper value for money, decent cars, that are actually designed for your purpose are out of the question I won't waste my breath.

stevo2, Jul 2, 6:53pm
Gotta agree with Jazz here. You need something wide enough for your carseats and high enough for the gravel road. the Volvo ticks both boxes. otherwise you may need to look at an SUV like a Territory, prado etc.
Cheers Stevo

carstauranga001, Jul 2, 7:28pm
Mazda MPV facelift. Same mechanically as Mazda 6 but heaps more room. As far as multi seaters go the Sport modelis good looking and drives well.

This isn't a plug for myself as you are way down south but here is an example with electric sliding doors and amonst other features traction control. So has safety features, roomy and comfortable for not much over 10K with negotiation. Much better value than Mazda 6/Atenza.

http://www.bryce4cars.co.nz/vehicles2010.php!vehicleid=22

berg, Jul 2, 8:18pm
I'd suggest a Prado, Landcruiser, Rodeo etc. I understand you need something to handle the rigors of a rough road plus plenty of room. It's going to have to be roomy to fit a growing child between two car seats in the rear so the bigger vehicle will be a bonus here. I can also understand the not wanting a Euro as they can be problematic when constantly on rough roads.
I think you might be reaching to the moon to get a vehicle at the price you want to pay with less than 100,000kms though. In saying that, most modern vehicles are just starting to free up at 100,000kms so maybe reconsider your request of less than 100,000

berg, Jul 2, 8:57pm
Nice but would you want to be a growing child between two car seats in the rear of that. Not going to be very comfortable at all. Needs something "widebody" to have a bit more room.
Other option OP would be a 4x4 van

thejazzpianoma, Jul 2, 9:38pm
XC70 has a wider rear seat than a Landcruiser, 153cm vs 147cm (and more than likely the others you suggest but I can't be bothered looking them up).
Those supposed "widebody" Asian 4x4's only offer the "perception" of space, sure they are wide on the outside but the interior space is compromised by the SUV design considerations.

Besides there are even plenty of 7 seater XC70's around so, as long as the older child is out of booster seats they could even have a whole seat to themselves, plus they are only in the back "occasionally" anyway. Plus, the OP has looked at a Mazda 6 which we assume they fitted in so the XC70 won't be a problem.

No need to suffer all the design compromises of a big 4x4 just to deal with a bit of gravel road, even the 4WD capability of the XC70 is a bit much in a way, but at least it comes without too much compromise in other areas.

The XC70 has stone chipping protection, enough ride height to do the job without compromising fuel economy and handling, comfortable riding over gravel and on the open road, a nice amount of usable power, refinement, safety, very good economy for the OP's kind of running, reliability, easy servicing with long service intervals and most of all, fantastic value for money.

Like I said its designed exactly for the OP's purpose and as a nice bonus its incredibly good buying in NZ.

Volvo wagons are specifically designed with carting Children in mind, that's their primary market and has been for years. Hang they even build booster seats into a lot of their models. Interior space being a top priority is another mainstay Volvo tradition.

Anyhow. its all wasted breath. The OP's partner sounds like yet another person hell bent on using the incorrect tool for the job. Simply because they would rather listen to silly wives tales touted by boof-heads with agenda's who have never owned one and possibly so they can "fit in" with their "sheep like" mates at the pub.

Sorry OP, I know I am being pretty blunt and your DP is probably a great bloke, just has poor judgement/priorities when it comes to vehicles.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 2, 10:04pm
BTW OP,
If it were me in your shoes, I would be dragging DP down to take one for a ride (any XC70 thats local regardless of price or even if its for sale for the moment).

Then have them justify why you should be paying more for a far less suitable worse value for money vehicle.

Don't go buying into any "reliability" or "parts" or "service cost" rubbish. The 5 Cylender motor in those is renowned for reliability and low service requirements. Parts are slightly dearer admittedly but won't really make any real difference to the overall running cost.
Servicing can be done by any half competent local garage with ease.

For YOUR running conditions I would rate the reliability to be about as good as it gets, even against the simpler 2WD design Mazda etc. Because the Volvo is designed to be run in dusty/muddy rough conditions.

BTW, if you do get one, when the "major service" rolls around I would be more than happy to help you order your own parts online like I do. Its easy than buying off trademe and that way parts are actually stupidly cheap, even compared to Asian equivalents.

Anyhow, enough from me. I will leave it to your own common sense to rebut any "trolls" who happen to appear slagging off the XC70.

1grasshopper, Jul 2, 11:36pm
thanks guys, DP isn't against euros, he just doesnt like the look of a Passatt.I will look into the XC70, never heard of it before, what is the fuel economy like!

On th topic if Euros, I have seen quite a few 2001-2ish BMW 318i's for under 10k, what are they like, quite like the look of them but only BMW I have driven was the ex's one about 10years ago

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 2:14am
For your conditions and requirements I would suggest sticking to vehicles designed for running regularly on gravel. The Mazda, BMW etc are just going to be given an unnecessarily hard time doing 6km of gravel on every return trip you make, and the stone chips etc will likely quickly spoil the finish.
Not to mention the ride quality and handling being much worse on gravel they were not designed to run on.

The Volvo will handle and ride beautifully on gravel and be most forgiving if you get a bit carried away.

There are cheaper cars to run but not really cheaper cars that are properly designed for gravel etc in your price range.
Expect about 10l/100km for your kind of running. Given you will pay about 5K less for the much better Volvo a little extra fuel consumption will not likely be an issue in the overall cost of owning the vehicle.

Best thing you can do is go and driveone, even better if you can take it for a squirt down a gravel road. It should quickly become apparent why that's the car for the job.

Oh and even if you were not doing any running on gravel, as lovely as BMW's can be the little 318 is small and not overly powerful. They are a good wee car but not worth a huge amount of money and not really suitable for your purpose from any standpoint.

By comparison the XC70 is a superbly equipped, beautiful riding, comfortable, powerful and sure footed car to drive. Its going to be a real pleasure for longer trips loaded up with kids and gear yet still be functional and practical for running the kids to town on a daily basis.

Once you have checked an XC70 out come back for some advice on choosing a good one if you decide to go down that track, there are a few things to be aware of to make sure you get the best value and no surprises.

deli16nz, Jul 3, 5:47am
What about a Holden or Ford Wagon, they are good sized, heaps of room. All that bullshit about off road 4x4's you don't need, also an over kill with Merivale Tractors, they shouldn't even be on the road, most of them don't even handle.

carstauranga001, Jul 3, 5:52am
Sold my MPV today mate. Very smart people who never even concidered a bloody Volvo!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 6:09am
LOL,
I guess it takes one to know one.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 6:15am
*Facepalm* There's always one.
Actually I did think about the Holden/Ford situation. They are more hardy in the rough than a Mazda 6 and they are good for room and with that kind of running the fuel economy isn't bad.

However, they are not as good a value as the Volvo. The Volvo is safer, handles better and rides nicer in the original posters conditions especially but even on a sealed road as well. The Volvo has stone chipping protection and a higher ride height which is a definite plus with pot holes and gravel.

Plus for the same money the Volvo is just a much nicer car. The only advantage the Holden/Ford has is a slightly wider back seat, but the Volvo is already big enough for the purpose in that department anyway.

I can tell from your comments you have not even seen one let alone driven one, I suggest you do.

deli16nz, Jul 3, 6:20am
There is always one! What is that supposed to mean! I don't buy into the Holden/Ford shit. I only suggested it as I have had holden wagons for years. I think they are great, I do alot of gravel driving. They are simple and cheap to fix.
If you are talking about have I seen a Volvo wagon! Yes I have, don't see a problem with them, except them being Euro, and proberly very expensive to repair.

trouser, Jul 3, 6:48am
You did not just say that did you! Oh oh.

grangies, Jul 3, 7:13am
For ten thousand it will be hard to get a good quality vehicle the has done under 100,000ks.

For $ 10,000 - 12,000 a good Volvo or if you're willing to pay the fuel, an Isuzu Bighorn.

Even if 150,000km Volvo costs a bit more than $10,000 it should give you another 200,000 relatively trouble free k's.

1grasshopper, Jul 3, 7:36am
We were thinking about Commodores actually - seeing they are around $8k for a 2000ish model with around 100,000km and I have a friend that has heaps of experience with Holdens so could most likely fix anything that would happen to go wrong with it.We really don't want a 4x4 if we dont need it

antojess, Jul 3, 12:12pm
used to have an 01 vrx diamante tiptronic 5 speed. 3 pt belts in backseat. huge boot. drove like a dream barely felt a bump. can pickup 01-04 round 10k for low kms 50-60k on clock plus fuel economy of 6.4 litres/100kms and thats with a 3.5 v6 so plenty of power when ya need it too

thejazzpianoma, Jul 3, 12:13pm
Why would you want a 2WD Commodore over the 4WD Volvo!
There is no economy or handling advantage with the Commodore. Likewise maintenance and reliability is not going to be any better.

I am all for staying 2WD when you don't need 4WD but in your case 4WD makes a lot of sense. You need to drive a 4WD like the Volvo on your gravel road to understand why, you should feel the difference straight away, especially if this is a road traveled at speed.

The day something goes a bit wrong, like some nutter coming around the corner at you causing you to take evasive action on the gravel is the day you will really appreciate 4WD. But really the extra sure footedness, ride height, paint protectors, suitable suspension will be a benefit every day.

The compromise with a vehicle like the XC70 is very little, its not like you are buying a Hilux Surf where you have to live with all manner of drawbacks for 4WD capability.

grangies, Jul 3, 8:02pm
6.4L/100k.

In a VRX Diamante!

Tui!

fordcrzy, Jul 3, 8:38pm
what about a subaru outback.you can get a 2004 -2005for that sort of money,.
something like this.http://www.trademe.co.-
nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/out-
back/auction-387362459.htm
but the volvo XC70 is good too. the only reservation with the volvo is is VERY VERY POOR parts availablility and support. i can't imagine the local ashburton mechanic knowing the volvo very well.

fordcrzy, Jul 3, 8:44pm
oh and if you live down a gravel road.

NEVER NEVER EVER buy a black/dark blue/dark green car!

the only colours you should be considering are Silver, White and champagne. they won't need to be washed everytime you go out.

franc123, Jul 3, 8:57pm
Oh FFS, just when I thought the recommendations couldn't get any worse, up pops a Renault!Renault and Volvo product are so poorly supported in this country and such an atrocious choice for someone living in rural NZ it isn't funny.Unless you like driving loan cars for weeks on end while your mechanic hunts for spares, and when even the Renault agent tells him that there are five different types of steering rack or wheel bearing fitted to that model and they don't know what fits what until its pulled apart and ID'ed and even then they've got nothing in the country and all the parts are all ex France and cost a fortune, you would be an absolute mug to buy one.If you own a Commodore or even an Outback you will probably get the car back the same day or the next for the same sort of repair.Its a no brainer.All the banging on about whizzbang 4x4 systems, safety, fuel economy and alleged value for money of second hand obscure Euro cars doesn't change this fact.