Holden Astra hatchback 1998 manual

crazycolt, May 30, 4:36am
would it be a good run about. are they good on gas, getting parts and little to nil problems.

hi-ling, May 30, 4:50am
great little car if the maintanance is kept up. Parts are cheap if you source from the UK, Ive just bought 8 intake valves, a full headgasket set, new headbolts and a cambelt kit for 1 of these from Ebay, and got it all here for just under $400, Holden wanted $107 per valve alone.
Cambelts and waterpumps HAVE to be replaced every 60,000 kms.
If you buy 1 and not sure when it was done, replace it.
Some do have senser issues but its normally corroded connections.

llortmt, May 30, 4:53am
It wouldn??

freedomaira320, May 30, 4:54am
You get the bad things about owning a European car (not as reliable as Japanese) without the good things (no cool factor). If well maintained could be a good buy.

boss_hogg, May 30, 5:31am
just imported a thermostat last month off eBay UK. Local Holden dealer wanted $260 ish, landed here including freight for less than $40 and about 5-6 days after clicking buy now. Mrs one is a later model one but is good on gas and great for running around town and the odd trip away.

andy61, May 30, 5:36am
Did the1998 model have cambelts! if they did they have a bad name for breaking cambelts at a very low mileage(<60000kms)and doing expensive damage.

kazbanz, May 30, 5:48am
CC --98 astra isn't "good" on gas. Its ok but far from stunning.
If you get one cheap enough its not bad in the basic mechanics.
The AC control unit craps out. No biggie this time of year as the heater function still works.
They are the model that require more often than "normal" cam belt replacement

a.woodrow, May 30, 5:53am
Cambelts and associated components need replaced every 60k or 4 years. They are a pretty average car reliability wise, having worked for the dealer I wouldn't own an earlier model myself.

clark20, May 30, 5:57am
And electric windows break

a.woodrow, May 30, 6:00am
And lcd screens fail
prone to headgasket/head issues
and sensors fail regularly

1astraman, Jun 9, 8:31am
x1
Im a pretty seasoned European Holden owner, having owned and worked on most since the late 90s.

Firstly the 1.8 litre TS Astra range ran 1998 to 2005. In that time TS Astra had 3 major changes. 1998-01 is called the XE18E1 because thats the code for the 1.8 engine fitted. XE18E1 is the vehicle the original poster is looking at buying. I wouldnt personally buy it, reason being it was the first of a brand new model and was plagued with problems right up until they changed to the Z18XE in late 01. Despite all 1.8 Astras having the reputation for throttle body issues, its mainly the XE18E1 thats most often talked about. Also this first version has only 85kw on premium where the 2001-2004 Z18XE had 92kw on premium. Many parts under the bonnet for the XE18E1 are actually different to the later improved Z18XE 1.8 engines so if you are doing the work at home make sure you are buying the correct parts. Even Holden gets confused by the 3 different versions of what looks like to most as identicle cars.

Economy wise I would choose the Z18XE model 2001-2004 which is more powerful, refined and efficient on premium. Its just overall better because its sole purpose of existence was to improve on the previous one.

You can purchase parts on Ebay and many do. It makes owning an Astra a lot cheaper, but dont be fooled these parts are seldom genuine and are simply cheaper because they are cheaper. Holden wont want to touch your Astra after you fit this stuff.

My advice to all Astra owners is if you have a problem, big or small. ALWAYS, ALWAYS check with your Holden dealer for a price first. I have found on many many occassions where they are cheaper or no more than $50 between genuine and cheap rip off parts. If you know somone who has a business account with your Holden dealer you can get parts at cost price which is what I do and its actually not that bad. They generally add a 15% mark up. This makes a very expensive genuine radiator competitive with a non genuine offering.

The interiors all vary to some extent through the 3 versions of TS Astra. The 98-01 XE18E1 had colour coded seats and door trim with the exterior choice. The 01-04 Z18XE had a grey colour only witht the same pattern as before and the Classic had same seat design but totally different pattern.
The 98-01 had a centre pass through that was dropped on all later base models. And overall interior plastic quality dropped off on the Classic when they moved production to Poland with heaps of other stuff like sound deadning actually being removed to cut costs.

On thermostats. ALL 1.8 TS and AH Astra models require the replacement of the entire thermostat housing as the thermostat itself is moulded into the housing. Of course attached to the housing is also the sender as new gasket preinstalled. All Holden dealers carry them in stock and while they seem expensive, remember you are getting more than a simple thermostat. Holden and myself always reccomend total replacement anyway because generally, once one issue is fixed, another will arise, best do all at once. All other TS and AH Astra's, I believe have a detachable thermostat from the housing.

Aircon is a huge issue on these cars. Apparently the compressors are used on MG-Rover vehicles of the era and are sourced by GM from Mexico. Beware of models on Trademe stating "not working, needs regas". More often than not the compressor clutch has failed or worse and rebuild is the only option. Typical cost from Nelson is not much change from $1k! But if you are like me and want to be cool in summer and defrost in winter its a simple decision. Once rebuilt, it will be good for about 10 years or more as the parts are new, up to date design.

1astraman, Jun 9, 8:48am
Also, PRIOR to purchase. Check the radiator and associated pipes into it for any leaks. The original GM radiators are a big weakspot on the TS Astra range regardless of engine fitted.

Previously the radiaotors where all different depending on your transmission and aircon options. Different part numbers exist if you have an auto with aircon, and manual with aircon. Or perhaps even manual without aircon and auto without aircon. Reason being is they have used the plastic edge of the radiator to put a clip on for aircon piping that runs past it to the condensor attached to the front of it. And auto tranmissions had a seperate radiator with tramission fluid cooling intergrated.

The problem is with the little o rings on either side of the unit. They corrode and leak. This is not fixeable and thus requires the new part. The new GM design eliminates these o rings completly in favour or a crimped version.

GM has released an updated version of the radiator which can be ordered from your Holden dealer. This part is sourced from GM's Chevrolet operations in South America as they are still building the TS series in a much upgraded form.

This updated radiator has one part number and will fit ALL 1.8 Astra models regardless of auto or manual transmissions as it now features auto transmission fluid cooling combined into the one part. SIMPLE>

jmma, Jun 9, 8:55am
Jazz, you have competition (o:

treachug, Jun 9, 11:14am
Yep & imho some info a little misinformed,

jmma, Jun 9, 11:18am
Must be the CEO from GM (o:

franc123, Jun 9, 11:33am
Someone forgot to mention coilpack failure, psychotic engine sensors and auto trans woes, in all honesty living with nosehair is nicer than having an Astra in your life. And it certainly does pay to have a contact in the UK for parts you WILL pay more for stuff via local channels I promise.

1astraman, Jun 9, 1:33pm
x1
Was all Typed pretty fast and from the mind. Been a while since I've done work on my TS.
Due to the fact everything major functions perfectly. The radiator description may have been a little distorted, which is fine because owners will visit the service centre for correct part orders anyway.

Ive never been stranded and any issue can be quickly resolved by the nearest Holden Service Centre. And from experience, ive had quotes from well kown wreckers on trade me, then gone to holden and gotten the part brand new, genuine and in the most recent instances cheaper.

Even if you dont want the service centre to carry out the work they will provide complimentary reccommendations, quotes and some checks. Or if you dont want genuine parts, if you provide them they will fit them for you. Theres some savings suggestions.

And while on the subject the hourly rate is hardly outrageous. Ive seen far worse and often the back street garages with same or nect to hourly rate.

robotnik, Jun 9, 2:56pm
x1
The Astra G does have superb handling though. It has electric powersteering and a very good suspension. You'll be hard pressed to find a more fun to drive Japanese hatch than the Astra.

1astraman, Jun 9, 11:06pm
Dead right there. None of its japanese competitors had electric power assist. Infact im not sure if the current corolla has it yet, but they are nothing to talk about, four speed auto on 2012 is plain embarrasing.

Ts astra was car of the year under aud$25000 for a number of years if memory serves from xe18e1 to z18xe until ah came along.

audi_s_ate, Jun 9, 11:22pm
Our experience with sourcing parts from holden for our 01 XC Barina has been a joke. Fortunately it has needed very little, but the couple of things that it has (brake master cylinder $750 from holden - $120 ex Vauxhall deal in UK delivered for example).
We have had a relatively good run from 75k (bar computer and gearbox fault fixed under warranty) to now (232k) but would not consider another european built holden.
It feels solidily built but our honda civic although older still feels better to drive and tighter on around the same km's with nothing but general maintainance.
Technically an intergra type r is a hatchback and would run rings around an astra in reliablity, handling and power but not so much in practicality.