2010 Mazda Axela Hatchback - undiagnosed chime

arthur-dailey, Jan 31, 2:54pm
We have just bought a 2010 Mazda Axela and it is sounding a chime as we are driving. A definite chime, not a beep as described in the manual.

No warning lights illuminate when the chime sounds but it does appear that the noise comes from the dashboard / steering column.

We have spoken to the dealer (hopeless now that we have parted with our money) and the Mazda dealership (it's a Japanese import so they're not interested).

I have researched many Mazda forums and read the online Mazda manual but cannot come up with any reason for the chime.

It is intermittent, happens at any speed, and doesn't appear to be related to the Japanese AV/SATNAV system (which we are replacing).

Any ideas as to what it could be would be welcome.

msigg, Jan 31, 2:55pm
Kaz will let you know soon.

franc123, Jan 31, 3:16pm
Arthur Daley wants a solution to a problem with a used car? Surely not.
Are you certain it's not a door ajar chime or something like that? Does the interior light flicker? Do you get the same noise when a door is opened and the engine is running? Could be a faulty switch in the door.

kazbanz, Jan 31, 3:49pm
if its not as Franc says then its a notification to do with the satnav/ETC system. So the lady has been shut up but the chime still happens.
Rip out the satnav and likely the chime will go away.
Any decent dealer would know that.

gblack, Jan 31, 4:00pm
Seatbelts, key not found (if keyless entry), or door ajar?

All of these things could have dodgy sensor triggering a warning.
Weird though that no matching light on the dash.

But agree with Kaz. toss out the satnav as a start

arthur-dailey, Feb 1, 5:23pm
Thanks for the input, folks.

Not:

* door chime / door ajar
* seatbelts

The interior light is off so no flickering (but tested with it on, and still no flickering).

There's only one key and it's in the car with me.

We do not get the chime when the engine is running and car is stationery. The sound is only heard when we're driving.

It is intermittent but with no rhythm / pattern . i.e. happens randomly.

The chime is quite different to all the SATNAV / AV warnings and it is definitely coming from the steering column area.

Having done further research it's possible it's related to the driver's seat as it had to be adjusted to the fullest extent for me to drive comfortably.

Have put a claim into the dealer and will see where we go from there.

arthur-dailey, Feb 1, 5:28pm
Oh, meantime, does anyone know how I can turn the SAT/NAV off? There's no obvious on / off key/button.

toyboy3, Feb 1, 5:36pm
Put ETC Japan into google images and see if you can find one of those units in your car. If so unplug the wires at the back

kazbanz, Feb 1, 6:07pm
If I'm right there is nothing to claim. Its the nature of that satnav system and it is trying to give you some information. Totally incorrect information but information none the less.
Dash panel out. Unplug the radio.-or at least everything not running directly off/from the main plug. That should shut it up.

saki, Feb 2, 2:41pm
I replaced the head unit of my 04 Axella with a unit from OEM auto direct fit screen above unit still works, steering wheel controls all work, good Nav BT at a reasonable price.

tgray, Feb 3, 6:27pm
I downloaded Google Japanese to English translation on my phone and it has helped me out quite a few times with these type of things with regards to turning off non functional SATNAV devices etc.
This is not your particular issue, but you wouldn't believe the amount of people that live with the Japanese voice upon every start up, when it's a simple case of just reaching down with your hands and unplugging the ETC device usually under the dash and often in full view. When I was younger, I thought it was a seatbelt reminder and just lived with it, but its the Japanese Electronic Toll Collection device that takes about 60 seconds to unplug.

arthur-dailey, Mar 28, 3:17pm
Quick update . sat/nav replaced PLUS very ripped out the very noisy toll receiver that chimed incessantly.

Thanks for your input all. Happily driving noise free now.

toenail, Mar 28, 3:59pm
normally you don't need to rip it out as its connected to the infotainment system and can be turned off.

kazbanz, Aug 27, 11:59pm
Its unusual for it to just chime. Normally It would chime then talk with a female voice saying "put credit card into ETC box thank you very much" -In jap of course.