How bad New Holden Cruze 1.6 turbo hatchback?

Page 1 / 2
pdc1, Mar 15, 1:50am
Mrs has spotted Cruze and likes. She now wants to purchase. I went for a drive in it and it drives quite nice, and features suit what we are looking for, however it is really foreign to what I??

jmma, Mar 15, 2:05am
Sorry, can't help, but did get a laugh. Yes it will be your fault Lol (o:

bjmh, Mar 15, 2:05am
mine also spotted the same,it seemed ok but she decided on a niss xtrail,so we can carry a tribe of g/kids.I service quite a few cruze. they seem ok.It will have a 100,000km warranty ,so long as you service it properly.As for pear shaped,its only the depth that varies. ha ha/good luck.

tamarillo, Mar 15, 2:30am
Purely from magazine tests I read the 1.6 turbo is huge improvement and a gutsy little engine. It's cheap because it's GMs global cheap car, to sell, below the Opel based cars of same size, so isn't as up to date and as modern a piece of design and engineering. It doesn't fare very well in comparison tests with focus, Mazda 3, but never gets negative remarks, just doesn't do things as well. They do rate it for ride and quietness on open road and suggest it's a good rural small car.
If the focus or Mazda 3 were similar pricing it would pay to test and compare?

dave653, Mar 15, 3:47am
Mrs wanted one too. 1.4 turbo. Test drove one for 20min. she loved it. I said to hire one for one of her trips away. After 400km she hated it. Gutless, hard ride, no longer impressed.

twink19, Mar 15, 4:32am
my wife bought a new Cruze 12/09. diesel has done 90k now, most reliable car ever, regular servicing, only costs have been tyres at 70K and brakes on front

delerium1, Mar 16, 2:17am
Holden small cars are rubbish.

tamarillo, Mar 16, 2:34am
Mostly agree as they have been using cheap Korean cars, but they did do Opel based Astra at one stage that was good.

3tomany, Mar 17, 7:46pm

richardmayes, Mar 18, 4:29am
Apparently you can force a small engine to do the job of a medium-sized engine simply by adding boost, there are no reliability or longevity downsides to this AT ALL, and it will even save you fuel.

If you are interested, I also have a bridge for sale.

brapbrap8, Mar 18, 4:37am
I have been in vectras and astras with 300,000km+
Will a 1.4 or 1.6 turbo cruze still be viable to run at that mileage?
Time will tell I suppose.

sgrants, Mar 18, 5:04am
The advertising on these POS's is obviously aimed at women who know not what is a good automobile , mate's mrs was mad keen on one till I explained their inherent issues and parts supply hastles (Talking about small bore Holdens here)

pdc1, Mar 18, 9:23am
Thanks for the comments. Decision has not been made yet.

differentthings, Mar 18, 6:50pm
Just ask yourself, would you buy a Daewoo because that is what it is.

timmo1, Mar 18, 7:24pm
My workmate has a 1.6 non turbo, 2012. just blew its head gasket.

trogedon, Mar 18, 7:30pm
"Drive the way you live"?!

edangus, Mar 18, 7:43pm
Wife has the 1.4 Barina RS (Turbo) its actually a fairly good vehicle. Cheap to run, Easy to Park. She has not quite figured the point to get the best out of the Turbo yet, so sometimes feels its down on power (Her prior car was 3ltr Altezza, prior to that was an Evo 6). I like driving it, very peppy little thing (got the turbo sussed) that does not feel like you are thrashing the shit out of it (5yr 130Km Warranty). Its a great go to work or go shopping skid kart. We have the 300 or the Ute for everything else.

Edit to add. Sister in law had the Diesel Version of the Cruze, 2013 model (prior Model) and hated it.

richardmayes, Mar 18, 8:09pm
One poster owns a DIESEL one.

And it hasn't had any faults yet at 90,000km. Wow.

lazzo, Mar 18, 11:15pm
Holden Cruze is rubbish, don't buy one.

If you want a good, reliable yet cheap new car with all the bits you need, go and buy a Mitsubishi Lancer.

mike1345, Mar 18, 11:20pm
John Key might buy it for Northland.

tamarillo, Mar 19, 12:12am
You've got to be kidding.

monaro17, Mar 19, 12:25am
To be honest, and I do not like the Cruze's at all, I would take one over a horridly noisy, rough and outdated Lancer. Most people I know or know of that have bought a late model lancer are buying into the name plate. They aren't what they once were. Once upon a time Lancer's were near the forefront of design and technology etc, nowadays they are a shadow of their forebears.

Come to think of it that sums up a lot of Mitsubishi's products. Lancer, Mirage, Pajero, Challenger.

lazzo, Mar 19, 12:26am
Not kidding.

Have you spent any significant time in one?

They are cheap yes, but they have all the bells and whistles, drive well, handle well, plenty of power, plenty of space for a family, great warranty, and most importantly 100% reliable, you don't see Lancers being a constant topic of conversation on here for reliability do you?

So if you want new and want cheap, there's your answer.

lazzo, Mar 19, 12:47am
I'm not saying Lancer is a great car, it's all relative, if you want cheap and cheerful then Lancer is a good answer.

brapbrap8, Mar 19, 12:51am
Yes, and a change of tyres makes the Lancer quieter and better riding too aparently.
I bought a new lancer for our second car, we are on track to do 40,000km a year in it so reliable and well proven design was a big factor for me.
Not sure what features Monaro17 thinks are outdated on the Lancer? They have at least as many gadgets as any other small car, a fairly economical engine and transmission that doesn't give any trouble.

As Lazzo says, how many posts on here are from people with broken down Lancers? I haven't seen any and I have been on here for years. Broken down Holdens on the other hand.