Hatchback suggestions - 5 Star Safety Rating pls

Page 1 / 2
akaroa, May 18, 6:51am
Hi Trademe Experts

I'm looking for a car (I'd prefer a hatchback) and these are my criteria:
1. 5 Star Safety Rating - preferably with multiple airbags and ESC
2. Price up to $12k
3. Needs to fit a 6ft4 adult in back seat (mostly for the shorter trips) and 3 adults in the back occasionally
4. Used daily for 10min trips at 40-70 km/h but about once a month 2hours+ on open road
5. Reliable, fuel efficient, etc

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

vtecnet, May 18, 6:55am
2005-2008 VW Golf FSI
Some will argue that it fails on the first part of 5. (Reliable).
But having owned. 5 . I'm yet to see any evidence of them not being Reliable.

http://rightcar.govt.nz/ucsr.html?group=Small as you can see, not many are 5 Star rated in real world crashes.

tamarillo, May 18, 7:26am
Agree about golf being good but bit worried about the tall person in back seat, it depends on how tall people in front are and how far back they need their seat. I like my seat way back and very few small to medium cars have enough for a very tall person behind me.
Maybe one size up and look at Camry and Mazda 6. Camry is a big car inside. Also mondeo which gets five stars in euro tests.
Be aware that it seems some Japanese import cars can have less airbags than local spec. A dealer here might be able to say more on this but I do recall someone here looking at legacy wagons and finding some imports with less airbags than expected.

akaroa, May 18, 7:37am
Thanks for the link. Safety is definitely the priority for me. I have been looking at the VW Golfs on trademe but haven't ever driven one.

What does FSI mean in practice? Is a Golf which is not a turbo an FSI?

akaroa, May 18, 7:42am
Thanks for the tip on checking out the number of airbags.

Whenever the tall person is in the back there will usually be someone short in the passenger seat. But I will have to take him with me when I go test driving.

I'll check out Camrys and Mazda6s online. Would they use more fuel than a small car like a Golf?

vtecnet, May 18, 7:48am
FSI badged Golfs are the more basic non turbo engine model available in 1.6 or 2.0L. size.
Both have similar fuel consumption though, the 2.0L has a nicer amount of torque.
The turbo models are fine too, which are the TSI models, or GTI and GTX.
However I dislike the 1400cc Turbo model that has both turbo and supercharger, as its just more to go wrong.
The GTX model is a good option if you want a bit of power but prefer the normal styling of the non GTI models, (they are often a lot cheaper).
None of them are bad on fuel though, I averaged 8.7L/100k with my GTX 2L turbo one, my inlaws average 6.5L/100k with the 1.6 FSI model.

All of the MK5 Golfs I have come across have had at least 10 Airbags (most have had 12).
My 6Foot 6 friend found sitting in the back no problem, these cars have a good amount of rear leg room, however due to this not a lot of boot space.
The Previous generations had a lot less rear leg room.

All petrol models use a direct injection engine, (FSI and TSI types).

saxman99, May 18, 7:50am

vtecnet, May 18, 8:05am
One thing I should mention, is that they all require at least 95 Octane fuel (98 preferred when possible).
This doesn't add much to the running costs though as they are quite economical cars.
But yes, best idea is to go out and test drive some cars and see what meets your space requirements, there's also a model called the Golf Plus, which is a taller version, might be worth looking at also.

akaroa, May 18, 8:07am
Thanks for the link. So high pressure fuel injection is designed to give increased fuel efficiency. That sounds like a positive.

akaroa, May 18, 8:14am
As much as I like the look of the sportier models, I really don't need anything fancy and the less I spend, the better actually. It's good to hear that your 6ft6 friend was comfortable in the back of your Golf. Boot space isn't too important to me.

Does anyone have a good link to explain the "nicer amount of torque on the 2L"?

akaroa, May 18, 8:24am
The BP in our town definitely doesn't have 98 and I'm pretty sure that the Mobil doesn't either. But 95 Octane is available everywhere. Would the lack of 98 be more important if I got something fancier than an FSI?

poppy62, May 18, 9:00am
Mercedes B Class, BMW 120i, Citroen C4/C5. Peugeot 308

jmma, May 18, 9:03am
Hiya poppy, did you forget the Corolla? (o:

akaroa, May 18, 9:07am
Thanks I'll check those out too.

I'm glad there are options to fit my criteria. I was getting a bit discouraged earlier in the day.

slacker8, May 18, 9:18am
Have a look at a Toyota blade master G. The 3.5ltr V6 model with 276hp.

vtecnet, May 18, 9:21am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VwgvIqXg3A

This is Golf vs 1 Series BMW (High performance models), pay special attention to the part about leg room etc, its clear that the Golf is a lot better, the reason for this, a 1 Series BMW is RWD, so more space is used up in the interior.
I have a 5 Series BMW and 2 Golfs, the 5 Series has a similar amount of legroom as a MK5 Golf does in the back seat.

inkapuka, May 18, 8:03pm
My Axela Mazdaspeed only has 4 airbags 2 upfront and 2 in seats and I think the NZ new Mazda 3 MPS has 6

trouser, May 18, 8:37pm
A 1 series is terrible for rear leg room.

I would suggest either mk5 or better golf or ford focus.

poppy62, May 18, 9:28pm
How are you mate? you've been a bit quiet on here lately, hope all is well in jmma camp. Yes you are dead right. OP. there is also the early 1990s Toyota Corolla. JMMA is the resident expert on these ummmm! fine Jap things.

poppy62, May 18, 9:31pm
It's not so bad if someone 5ft 2in is the driver. I'm actually 6ft and am ok in the back of a Smart Forfour when the Mrs' is driving.

thejazzpianoma, May 19, 6:02am
As well as the Golf I would recommend a Fiat Punto. The brand new ones have dropped in price a lot which has made them very attractive for prize givaways etc. The result is they are regularly on here as unwanted prizes and the like with no or almost no km's on the clock for not much more than your 12K (have seen a few go for 13K).

From a low running cost/value for money/reliability standpoint, this would be THE car to beat. You would be looking at all or most of a new car warranty and effectively a brand new car. Even if you have to borrow that extra $1000 or so you are quickly going to get it back purely because the car has brand new tyres etc, no servicing to catch up on and so on.

The MK5 Golf is definitely the more luxurious, better equipped and more powerful car. However the Punto is going to win on service costs, reliability etc purely because it's brand new, low or zero km's, has a new car warranty and is a simpler design.

I really like both and we have had a number of both in the family. Which would be best depends on exactly which parts of your criteria are the most important.

Lastly. the Punto will "feel" considerably cheaper and flimsier, however that doesn't necessarily make it worse in a crash. That comes down to how strong the safety cage is, how well the crumple zones etc have been designed. The tin door skins and plastic trim don't really have anything to do with it.

That said, the MK5 Golf will have more airbags, which may make you better off in some types of collisions.

The Punto is of course also 5 Star NCAP rated.

akaroa, May 19, 9:25am
I've never heard of a Fiat Punto! Off to do more googling.

r.g.nixon, May 19, 9:29am
Volvo 740 is one of the safest cars ever made. Don't know if it fits your other criteria.

thejazzpianoma, May 20, 1:30am
If that's looking like it may be of interest feel free to come back and hit me up with questions (although I haven't been around much of late, will try and remember to check). I know them quite well having owned/repaired/serviced them myself for a number of years.

akaroa, May 23, 5:10am
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I have bought a 2007 VW Golf FSI and I love ???? it!