Jazz - mk2 golf diesel info

mantagsi, May 28, 9:50am
Hi Jazz, I need a bit of advice :) I've got a possible opportunity to pick up a 1990 VW Golf diesel (nonturbo AFAIK) for literally next to nothing - 5spd manual, massive range on a single tank etc etc etc - for peanuts it looks worth a punt. What sort of pitfalls should I be looking out for! and worst case scenario, what would I be looking at for a 2nd hand engine if need be! (i can replace it myself no worries) Cheers, TIA :)

supernova2, May 28, 10:07am
I know nothing about VW diesels but all I would say is this car is now 22 years old so i would think it likely that all sorts of odd things might be on the way out.Unfortunately because its not a Toyota, Nissan, Holden, Ford in most cases the local garage is going to say "go away", likewise I'm picking you ain't going to have a hugh selection at the local pick-a-part either.Also don't forget RUC and higher rego costs.Just my thoughts.

snoopy221, May 28, 10:10am
1990 non turb well morissman myt evn pop is ten c wth.
personaly i'd be tempted.

trdbzr, May 28, 10:11am
If you're getting it for literally next to nothing and you are good at fixing it up if need be, then go for it. Most 22 year old cars would have a few pitfalls or another.

mantagsi, May 28, 10:11am
No worries - not too fussed about mechanical work, will happily do it myself. I've not done a great deal of work on diesels, most experience has been on an old TD23 navara that I rescued after it had a 'run away' incident, so that was pretty educational. What I am looking at all up is a wof, reg and ruc'ed car for probably under $400, so I guess I can';t expect too much to stay working for long :)

ashwattau, May 28, 10:43am
imo.massive waste of time unless you are planning to a) skip the payment of RUC (which we don't do because we're all good boys and girls) and b) be the spanner swinger. but if you get it for next to nothing. then i say who gives a flying hoot. just filler up and driver til she dies (as much as that pains me to say about any car). also, this probably isn't relevant but just so you know in most diesels of that era the nad engine is usually less economical than the turbo.

intrade, May 28, 11:12am
nothing goes wrong on it if you change the oil on time downside is ruc , you need to use chemtech like on any euro diesel unless you want a stuffed dieselpump and premature worn injectors. thats about all its 1 wire to make the diesel engine go and stop only on these.

intrade, May 28, 11:14am
i dont advise to disconect the odometer as the fines are huge and the nzstasi is on its mission to find anyone who cheats on ruc since march this year with all tools like searchwarrante for inspection on tempering divises hidden in diesel etc.
also the statment is untrue for the golf the non turbo is more eceonomical especially at only 100kph.

carmedic, May 28, 8:34pm
A 1990 will be a 1600cc diesel (??