Hey jazz you awake.

nave12, Jan 23, 8:36am
He go non eye for awhile,but the bear shall return as it is his knowledge that is needed so he shall return.sometime.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 8:45am
Pretty much any of the other Euro Vans is better than a Ford Transit in my opinion. I am not impressed with the Ford at all.

Now that said I am no expert on the LT, so can't tell you a whole lot about it. What I do know is its basically a Mercedes Sprinter with a different grill and a VW powertrain.

The design came out in 1996 so is not super modern. That said they were fairly popular and I would say a reasonable machine. I think the 2.8 is a common rail and the 2.5 is not. Not sure on what the refinement will be like, it came out at a transitional time between the age of the "agricultural" Euro van and the "you would think you were driving a car" Euro van.

In general I would personally not buy a non-common rail van, just not responsive enough. That said of the old technology diesels the VW ones were about the pick of the bunch.

Thats about all I know sorry, best thing is to go and have a drive and see what you think. I would have pretty good faith in the VW product of that age group but do some more research on it if you can. You will find plenty of second and third hand story's about any Euro vans giving trouble so just take care and sort the wheat from the chaff in terms of what you hear.

Be especially weary of story's about clutch and flywheel problems, those are almost guaranteed to be the fault of the driver.

Hope thats of some help. just remember, avoid the Transit!

Edit: One more thing, even if they like it and think its really nice to drive they should drive all the options, especially the 2.3 Ducato and the Sprinter.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 8:46am
LOL, just popped back for another Jazz request so put my 2C on this one too!

nave12, Jan 23, 8:51am
Good on ya Jazz i never disrespect ya.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 8:55am
Cheers nave12, a break now and then does me no harm. Besides pretty busy at the moment, seems to be one project after another at the moment.

Just doing a timing belt, full engine and DSG service on the father in laws A3 at the moment.

msigg, Jan 23, 9:02am
that camper van looks good for the price, i would take it to a decent mechanic and get it looked over, im not with jazz on the new common rail so much, theres been alot of different vehcles crapping out with our diesel/water, cost a huge amount to fix. If you were to buy one i would put another water trap somewhere as a safe gaurd. Take a couple of different ones for a drive and see what you think. talk to lots of people, contact the camper van association and get some proper feed back. all the best.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 9:59am
You have been watching too much Fair Go (story's about crappy Hyundai's with even crappier after sales service). There is also nothing "new" about Common Rail Diesels.

EVERY modern diesel in vans/cars is now common rail. To try and avoid it is like trying to stay with a typewriter instead of a PC for fear of virus's.

Furthermore the "Old" Diesels are not even designed for modern low sulpher diesel and realistically are in general far more likely to give you expensive problems than common rail Diesels. Not to mention the rubbish performance, poor economy and generally needing to be maintained 2 - 5 times more often.

Fiats original common rail diesels have proven superbly reliable 15 years they have been on our roads.

Sorry I don't mean to rubbish your comments msigg but I think you are suffering from "a little bit of knowledge is dangerous" syndrome.

outbidyou2, Jan 23, 10:02am
Wheew, smoked !

msigg, Jan 23, 6:09pm
yea thats cool I have a very old diesel with a large motor and that thing just keeps on going , ive had mine for 11 years with no problems and thats the way i want it to stay, even being a snail.The campervan industry seems to be swamped with prices all over the place, there are some real fantastic machines out there, real expensive as well. One off the best things to do is to go to a camp ground and talk to the actual owners to get real stories, Good luck.