Buying a dealer/car yard warranty - good or bad

rcomms, May 28, 8:53am
We are just about to purchase a new vehicle, done around 143,000 Km's, a v8 adventra. Going to do the cold air intake, tune and eventually the exhaust to improve economy and power but wondering If purchasing the warranty is actually good value or not! Vehicle aside what do people think of them and any major cons.

amberjandal, May 28, 8:56am
For a car like that I would , one claim and you are on the make.

clark20, May 28, 8:57am
With that car yes

jasongroves, May 28, 8:59am
Depends how much the warranty costs, how long it applies for and what it does and does not cover I guess.
Would pay to check what modifications can be carried out without voiding the warranty too.

ryans, May 28, 8:59am
A car dealer is bound by the CGA to repair your car for any reasonable issues that occur.
There's a reason why warranties are so popular with car dealers, it gets them off the hook.

shovel5, May 28, 9:02am
I thought they exclude general wear and tear! which basically can cover anything.I have a warranty for a car I brought in November and today failed my warrant on front and rear brake pads, and got a warning on all disc's. let me guess-not covered!

jasongroves, May 28, 9:04am
Yes.reasonably foreseeable. If the motor blows up in 6 months without misuse and is well maintained (unforeseeable issue) then the CGA won't mean squat.

jasongroves, May 28, 9:05am
Of course they aren't covered. They are obviously wear and tear items and no one can foresee what your brakes will go through over a 6 month period.

ryans, May 28, 9:15am
No, those wouldn't be covered.
But if your radiator springs a leak after a couple months, it is covered.
3 months after I bought my Legacy the radiator spring a leak and the alternator died, spectacularly, they were covered, although the car dealer fought me all the way until the day before the dispute tribunal before paying.

jasongroves, May 28, 9:22am
Yeah 2nd hand vehicles are a very grey and circumstantial area of the CGA.

rcomms, May 28, 10:02am
Yes the modifications will require clarification. It is potentially coming from a holden dealer so they should know, I hope it is still covered.

supernova2, May 28, 10:12am
If you "need" to do those modifications IMHO its not the right vehicle for you.

rcomms, May 28, 10:26am
Disagree, actually don't need too do anything but they help improve things and for the price of the mods well worth it. Actually the vehicle ticks a lot of boxes for our requirements and economy is not everything.