Honda CT 125 tuning

kalebsmum, May 26, 9:21am
Trying to tune a honda, and it's going ok but every now and then the idle starts to race. Also can someone tell me what the two adjusting screws on carb are for

mechnificent, May 26, 9:28am
The screw on the side where the slide is, is the idle speed screw. In is faster idle.
The other screw will be forwards or behind the slide depending on the model of card,(or below actually I just remembered). that screw is idle mixture. If the idle mixture screw is near the motor then in will lean it, and if the mixture screw is near the aircleaner end of the carb,, in makes it richer.

Irregular idle might be a lean mixture, worn slide. If it just idles high sometimes it might be a tight throttle cable. Sometimes turning to full lock will make them rev a little if the cable is adjusted to have no play in it.

movnon, May 26, 9:41am
sounds like the throttle cable is sticking, or maybe frayed.

kalebsmum, May 26, 10:34pm
throttle cable and slide are all fine. Should the screw nearer the motor be a fine pointed screw like most needle valves i have dealt with. The end of the screw on this one looks like a bulb, and was wondering if this is normal, or has someone or thing butchered it

kazbanz, May 26, 11:56pm
kalebsmum--think about this for a mo.A problem with rich this or maladjusted that will be a problem all the time not occassionally.
Places to look for issues.
1) damaged/dirty/sticky twist grip
2) kink in throttle cable or a routing issue of the same somewhere down from twistgrip to carb.
3) sticky carb slide
4) slide return spring has lost tension-not strong enough to push the needle down. .

motorboy2011, May 27, 12:02am
what year is the ct! I will have a look at the carbs I have

mechnificent, May 27, 8:48am
Kaz has a good point.

the screw should taper, depending on the era they could be fine or chunky ended, but all tapered. The chunky ends at about er, hmmm, about a mill and a half I'd say, the fine is what you have seen, almost a point.