Removing super glue from paint work

topzone, May 26, 7:42am
Some genius has super glued badges on a vehicle I have just bought !
I have googled removing super glue from panelwork,seems there are many ideas,some have merit some look dodgy.
Has anyone done this succesfully and how.

jason_247, May 26, 7:52am
Acetone would be your best bet

the problem of whether the superglue has hurt the paint under it will be another matter

topzone, May 26, 7:56am
Yeah,I read acetone works but it may lift the cellulose or clear coat.

grangies, May 26, 8:03am
Modern superglue on paint is virtually permanent.

If the paint under the glue is a good quality coating, you may be able to superfine sand and cut/.polish the residue off.

Not an easy job though.

topzone, May 26, 8:08am
A lot of comments say hot water and soap,others acetone,others brake cleaner,and some razor blades wet and dry paper then polish.
I realy don't want to have to do a repaint if possible.

kazbanz, May 26, 8:10am
The stuff to use is isopropic acetone -or was that alchohol. --anyhoo its the stuff doctors use to dissolve the superglue people use to glue fingers together
Incidently I today watched my ding man use glue on the outside of the body to pull a dent out. then he used that stuff to dissolve the glue.-perfect repair and no sighn of the glue -But the glue was only on there a minute or two

topzone, May 26, 8:15am
Hi Kaz,do you mean isopropyl alcohol ! as used in the manufacture of "P"
I dont know but someone please spare me the repaint costs . . . cheers.

grangies, May 26, 8:19am
Razor blades and wet paper and polish is the only way I'd try.

But it's easy for me to say that as the wet paper 1500 or so grit procedure is part of my job,to remove dust specs etc in car paint.

The razor is the tricky bit . As in you could easily lift more than you wanted to and rip the paint right off.

kazbanz, May 26, 8:19am
actually mon to be honest I just couldn't tell ya--but it was good to watch-maybee ask a doc what they use

grangies, May 26, 8:24am
The minute or two factor is the main emphasis there. Still malleable enough to be removed with a solvent.

And he must have been confident that the existing paint was good enough to handle the repair he done.

Sounds like a bloody clever idea. I'm gonna have a look into it. LOL

topzone, May 26, 8:26am
Fair comment I understand what you're saying,I was realy hopefull some form of paint friendly solvent might come to light.

grangies, May 26, 8:39am
A big factor is the paint underneath.

If you start rubbing acetone on it, it may destroy it.

The fact that it has been super glued on, indicates it has been touched up before. And the coating maybe or maybe not be too great.

If the entire paint finish looks a bit under par, then DO NOT rub it with acetone or any kind of paint thinner.

haydennaomi, May 26, 11:48pm
whats wrong with the badges did someone sticka hsv badge on your falcon.this will reduce the performance no end so i say hammer and chisel just get it off

neville48, May 27, 2:17am
The biggest problem is superglue particles will have cross-linked with the paint particles and will now be one and the same, thats why superglue is "super".glue, you will be very lucky to do the deed and get it off perfectly, the razor and 1500 grit if you know what you are doing and are very patient or the acetone , again very patiently and veeeery carefully applied or you will chase the problem down the guard

topzone, May 27, 2:51am
An update !
After much soaking with liquid soap (three hours),hot water and careful use of a heat gun,I was able to peel bit by bit of the superglue off with a razor blade.
I then gave it a wet sand with some 1200 paper,then some cutting compound,and finaly a wax.

guest, Sep 25, 11:40pm
Wanda JollymoreMarch 6, 2013I have very thin, peeling nails and I siplmy stopped wearing polish for several years. I kep tmy nails very short, and i still had raggy nails. When I heard about gel nails, or shellac nails , as they are called some places, I thought I would try them. Now I wear them all the time, but with a variation. Like you, I can't stand to go for 2 weeks with the same color. So I do a thin base coat and a thin top coat of the shellac., cure it and use the alcohol to take the stickiness off. Then I use regular polish over it. As long as you remove the polish with a non-acetone polish remover, you do not damage the clear shellac base. The polish lasts longer than on natural nails and my nails are stronger. I agreee with her observation about thin coats. When they say thin' coats, they mean THIN coats. Otherwise you get paint runs' in your nails or waves and it looks yucky. I have been doing it this way since early last July.

guest, Sep 26, 5:50pm
before painting, make sure your nails are clean and have no signs of fugnus. if so, talk to a doctor about ways to relieve fugnus. make sure nails arent layered. if so, get a nail filer and file it down til flat and smooth.to help nails become stronger, lay nails in special erbs oil to get stronger and healthier nails. when done painting,apply nail polish sealer to help it not chip off. buying cheap and using old nailpolish is more likely to be chipped. do not buy anything expensive for you. to prevent chipped nail paint, add sealer,keep away from things that would scratch your nails, and use only nailpolish that wouldn't be too expensive. ( stroke and add 2 layers of nailpolish when painting. you don't want goopey nails! ) hopes this helps