VOLVO S80 QUESTION?

Page 2 / 2
countrypete, May 20, 8:56am
Opinion on Volvo S80 is divided.Jazz says it's good, everyone else says it's not.

thejazzpianoma, May 20, 9:01am
Not quite.

I say a good example can be good, if bought on the understanding that they need to be pro-active to avoid high service costs. I have made it abundantly clear I am not very excited about this particular example.

I say this actually having been there done that, hang there is even a similar one I have done all that same servicing on on TM right now (and no not the one I linked to). I have diagnosed and replaced a MAF and VVT solenoid on that car too. Other than that its been a reliable car.

The others have either no direct experience or have likely not gone about it the right way. Like muganb20b, he's a good general mechanic but is not famous for knowing how to attack things like these without spending a lot of money.

countrypete, May 20, 9:04am
It was a quote from Blackadder!Get over it.

thejazzpianoma, May 20, 9:06am
In that case "They do say,that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are of course wrong, as you will soon discover.when I stick this toasting fork in your head"

pugmyre, May 20, 9:13am
Hells bells.Thank god for that.You're going to get him in the head.For a minute there I thought he was going to cop it in the Kabutzi.

thejazzpianoma, May 20, 9:16am
LOL, it was pretty harsh, but only blackadder quote I could think of that would fit!
He's clearly better at this game than me. ( I had to cheat and google to get the wording right)

Ironically, Rowen Atkinson is quite the car man himself. My old Flatmate was involved with a team who used to service his McLaren. before he crashed it. the first time.

pugmyre, May 20, 9:21am
Aha.Blackadder.So he does like the British.

countrypete, May 21, 6:44am
Looks like you were saved Pug!Auction withdrawn.Wonder what was the cause of the pool of oil!

craig04, May 21, 6:58am
I would venture an opinion that anyone with a low budget for purchasing a car maybe an S80 is not the right car to buy. If you can't afford to spend much on the car, you probably couldn't afford the upkeep regardless of how proactive you are.

pugmyre, May 21, 8:24am
Yep.Looks like both you guys (countrypete and craig) were right.Luckily our mate didn't put a bid on it.Who knows it could've been a disaster for them.Thanks for all the valuable advice we were able to pass on.

blackcat17, May 21, 9:20am
Whats the fault with the trans!

morrisman1, May 21, 9:26am
it goes into fail safe mode if it gets to third gear, then locks in third gear. The solenoids are stuffed too so it is lazy to shift but I think that was a seperate issue

blackcat17, May 21, 9:44am
Just google away e.g.
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t11721057-1999_volvo_s80_transmission_stays_in_3rd

Who knows, my Capellas trans developed problems last year and I fixed it with new friction plates in the 3-4 drum following some advice I found online, I just think people throw their hands up in horror at trans faults too easily, when sometimes it might not necessarily be that complex or expensive.