Cheeky car sales trick

Page 1 / 2
d.snell, Jul 3, 12:57am
Bought a car from a car yard on 24th June. I pointed out it's rego expired in less than 1 month on 17 July, so they said, no problem, they would put 3 months rego on it. New sticker arrived in the mail yesterday and it's new expiry date is 25th September. The tight arses put 3 months from date of purchase, not 3 months additional. It's only a difference of 3 or 4 weeks, but it still sours a customer relationship. I won't be buying another car off them again, I hope it was worth it to them.

intrade, Jul 3, 1:09am
how much you paid and what car!

40wav, Jul 3, 1:22am
Obviously they meant 'it will be sold to you with 3 months rego on'

johnf_456, Jul 3, 1:26am
I think thats ok, unless you specifically said 3 months plus from that date.

d.snell, Jul 3, 1:50am
Yep, that's their stance. I suppose they need to re-word what they say, because I would assume that when they said they would "Put 3 months on it", it would be 3 months from the existing expiry date, If not, they should have said they would put 2 months, 1 week on it. It just seems for the sake of mis-communication, why would a car yard take that stance and risk the negative advertising!

d.snell, Jul 3, 2:21am
That's fine. But I suspect 2 out of the 3 are Car salesman or similar.
It didn't even occur to me because I was unaware that you could even relicence by the day and I suspect that a lot of people wouldn't realise that either. If it's standard practice to use a variation in licence date form, rather than a standard relicencing renewal form, it also explains why they just don't offer to knock the price of 3 months rego off the price and let the buyer do it when it's due.

johnf_456, Jul 3, 2:24am
I'm not a car salesman and kazbanz is right.

ringo2, Jul 3, 2:47am
+1 and I would suspect that the car salesman didn't even think about it but just went in and got a 3 months rego for the car. No matter what he did it would have cost them exactly the same amount. I am fairly sure that you can only relicence for 3, 6 or 12 months not by the day.

pandai, Jul 3, 2:52am
+ 2

d.snell, Jul 3, 4:12am
No, because if you bought 3 months rego, it would be 3 months from the expiry date, not 3 months from the sale date. They use a different form that is a "Change of Date Form" and pay a fee pro-rata daily based on the amount of days. So in this case, they would have saved about $30. You would really think that in the overall picture of nearly $5,000, it's a lot of trouble to go too, especially if there is a chance you might annoy the customer. It's not about the money, it's more the principle.

d.snell, Jul 3, 4:19am
I am sure they weren't, glad to see you are taking some action. As ringo confirmed, he wasn't aware you could buy less tha 3 months rego.

johnf_456, Jul 3, 4:21am
Move on

d.snell, Jul 3, 4:29am
Use some willpower and don't read if it bothers you. You choice, not mine.

Oh no, you had to click "view" didn't you. Gun held to your head was it!

bob1088, Jul 3, 5:06am
buy some wood - build a bridge - and get over yourself!

carstauranga001, Jul 3, 5:43am
I have sold a van today and the rego expires in July so I promised 3 months. I will add 3 more months and it never entered my head to save afew days and say $30,( maybe more as it's a diesel)

However, the other side of the coin is why on earth are you so stressed over a messly $30 in a 5 grand deal! Not worth an ulsar really is it!

cowboy110, Jul 3, 6:20am
I think I'm with d.snell on this one.If I went into the Postshop/VTNZ wherever and bought 3 months rego on my car, I'd expect it to be 3 months from when my registration was due to expire.Example.the rego on my car expires in 2 weeks.I'm paid up till 16th July.I go in today(2nd July) and buy another 3 months.I would expect that the new rego would expire 16th October, not 3 months from today.For a car salesman to go to the trouble of actually filling out the rego form and specifying that they only want to buy rego for 2 months and 7 days just seems a bit .!

whynot7, Jul 3, 6:34am
ifyou test drove the car with 1/4 tank of fueland they said i will sell it with half a tank would you expect half a tank PLUSthe 1/4 already in it.that would be 3/4 of a tank .

carmedic, Jul 3, 6:50am
With some people the tank is always half empty!

cowboy110, Jul 3, 6:50am
Most of us commoners get a rego reminder in the mail with the option of 3, 6 or 12 months registration.I didn't realise that you could actually change the expiry down to a specific date. (Until I checked the VTNZ website).Don't know if I would go back to a dealer if he was that anal about "putting 3 months rego on the car" and went out of his way to only do 2 months and 1 week.

bae13, Jul 3, 7:18am
oh my god your stressing over $30 dollars, man you must have nothing better in your life to do. the car was sold and you got 3 months of rego. they could have saidno and you probably still would have bought it so on the bright side you got 2 months rego for nothing,
thats a win in my book

tgray, Jul 3, 7:24am
Poster 1. Are you happy will the car!
You are talking about $30 worth of rego difference.
Commonsence should prevail surely.
Next you will be going to the disputes tribunal for breach of fair trading act for misleading representation!
For god's sake, harden up.

bigracket, Jul 3, 7:33am
D. Snell I often agree with you on alot of your posts, but this time your arguing semantics. I would have expected the same as what you got tbh. I think its a bit harsh for you to get all p@##ed at him really.

johnf_456, Jul 3, 7:38am
Ditto the above two comments.

zephyrheaven, Jul 3, 8:19am
Jesus, we need another draft

superdave0_13, Jul 3, 8:27am
The car dealer's a penny pincher!