What are your thoughts on: Corolla Fielder Stnwgn?

realtrader1, Jun 4, 8:14am
I have no particular year / engine size in mind but someone may be conversant with them and have a word or two to say that's of value.Thanks very much in advance.

andy61, Jun 4, 9:26am
I have a new shape Fielder(2007)1.8S that has just replaced my previous Fielder(2000)1.8S . I found the Fielder a totally reliable dependable comfortable economical car. My old Fielder had done 217kms when I sold it,the only thing needed in years running was 2 lightbulbs and front brake pads,and 1 set of tyres(i did 96kms)plus normal oil changes,plugs filters.I would recommend the 1.8 over the 1.5 versions for the extra power.If you can afford it try out the newer shape Feilder,Im happy with mine.

rovercitroen, Jun 4, 9:28am
Chap at work has one. Very happy with it.

807, Jun 4, 9:37am
Fielder ( corolla wagon ) .Toyota .Totally reliable .end of story.

grangies, Jun 4, 10:23am
You have to pay a bit more for a Fielder/Corolla. For the comparable year model. engine size etc.

But Toyota have it right with their mid sized cars, as far as I'm concerned.

They buiuld good strong BASIC cars. No stupid bells and whistles,.Insteadbetter sheetmetal and chassis finishes and ultra reliable engines.

skiff1, Jun 4, 10:26am
we had a 2003 model for 3 years, good car. Completely boring, completely reliable

horsepower7, Jun 4, 10:27am
sell them at work, they are very reliable, havnt had any problems yet ;-)

doctor_evil99, Jun 4, 10:44am
bullet proof.met a courier guy and he done nearly 480,000km on one of those.

mugenb20b, Jun 4, 10:48am
Good cars, but make sure it comes with a full service history, or at least make sure there's no signs of sludge under the oil cap or rocker cover. Lack of oil changes will do a lot of damage to those motors, especially the cam lobes.

phillip.weston, Jun 4, 11:20am
check the shocks too - have seen an alarming amount of the 2001-2006 shape models needing shocks replaced quite early on.

realtrader1, Jun 4, 11:38am
Very interesting feedback!Thanks a lot!Overwhelmingly good report on the whole.Service history etc of course.Are the 1.5 and 1.8L belt or chain engine btw!

phillip.weston, Jun 4, 11:44am
both chain engines

matt_sam, Jun 4, 8:03pm
well. I have one and if you have a look on the threads on here mine has a problem no one can find :( it doesnt pick up speed when taking off. it is an auto. If it didnt have this problem I would love it! I have the fielder Z model!

freedomaira320, Jun 4, 8:39pm
Good cars, but couldn't get much more boring.

kazbanz, Jun 4, 10:59pm
They are a good solid reliable vehicle with no inherant faults.

realtrader1, Jun 5, 5:15am
Don't give up, share the problem.again.Someone MUST know!

richardmayes, Jun 5, 5:16am
They are good little cars. It's what you do in it that determines whether it's boring or not!

panicky, Jun 5, 5:34am
Got a 1.8 vvti as a work wagon.Only done 200k now.Had to replace timing chain and sprockets ($500 just for the vvti hub/sprocket not sold separately) as it obviously has had lack of services at some point in its early life.It goes through oil also.I have had all the main suspension bushes replaced before 160K.I had a 1.5 Fielder before this one and that was a gutless wonder.The 1.8 really is also underpowered when compared to the 4AFE/4AGE platform. Personally I think they are over-rated.

zak410, Jun 5, 5:43am
someone here was saying to only get a manual as the auto doesn't rev up enough to get to power band,
would that be right !

realtrader1, Jun 5, 5:56am
There's the maintenance message again all right!Must have been prolonged neglect though, surely.What was the 4AFE/4AGE fitted to btw!

realtrader1, Jun 5, 5:57am
Yes, are the manuals and autos both strong!(given that you service the auto etc. in a timely manner)