Mocal 12v differential oil pump

hopie, Jun 10, 11:09pm
Anyone know where I can get one of these! I know I can get others like ShurFlo but their not temperature rated for hot oil.

bill-robinson, Jun 10, 11:38pm
googlemocal uk

hopie, Jun 11, 12:10am
Yes i know I can get them in the UK - Just wanting to know if anyone knows the NZ Agent

esprit, Jun 11, 12:11am
I've bought these before into NZ through Merlin Motorsports and Demon Tweeks, both in the UK,

hopie, Jun 11, 12:31am
Thanks esprit, something to look into.

or any recommendations on a decent scavange pump that can handle a decent hot oil temp!

esprit, Jun 11, 12:59am
I personally use this one:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p13430/VDO-ELECTRIC-OIL-PUMP/product_info.html

As it's lighter and more compact than the Mocal/Tilton one. I believe this is the cooler pump that a lot of current BMW models use on their differentials. I use this pump, controlled by my ECU to circulate my gearbox oil through a Mocal Laminova cooler dependent on gearbox temperature and throttle position.

hopie, Jun 11, 2:04am
Temp is going to be hot, this is to pump oil back from a holset turbo that is mounted at the rear of a V8 Commy.

esprit, Jun 11, 2:22am
Aah, in which case the Mocal unit is probably better :)

hopie, Jun 11, 2:31am
yes, as it is rated for high temps. Poss should have added that small amount of info in my initial post. That VDO one does look interesting thou.

bill-robinson, Jun 11, 3:09am
you should only let oil drain back from a turbo.make the drain minimum of twice the diameter of the supply and run it direct to the sump ABOVE the oil level in the sump. if you suck it out you can damage the turbo bearings and pull air past the seals.

ord, Jun 11, 3:14am

hopie, Jun 11, 3:38am
bill-robinson - the oil return will be higher than where the turbo is mounted, hence the reason for needing a pump.

hopie, Jun 11, 3:39am
ord, great thanks, not a bad price, just need to check the specs. At least this gives me someone in NZ now - a stockest.

skin1235, Jun 11, 5:02am
does height matter!, I'd be more concerned about seal lips being biased in one direction ie against oil pressure, if you put a vacuum in there ( pump after bearings) and any air sucks through those seals ( as it will - they're designed to stop pressure against not air under from the other direction) you'll so quickly have shot bearings it will make your head spin - but not the turbo's - well not for long anyway
put your pump before the turbo's, and your oil exhaust can run up to wherever - any residual pressure is minimal, and desirable - bearings are flooded at start too
just got to make sure you spool down properly - excess heat can build in a turbo as it winds down the timed shutoff - check your turbo details and fit gauges, shut down manually at appropriate temp

bill-robinson, Jun 11, 7:25am
Describe the oil system layout please. where does the oil to the turbo come from! what size pipe is it! where is the turbo mounted, andwhy there! where does the drain return to! what size pipe is it! ALL the ifo not just dribs and drabs. Then you may get sensible help.