Gloss on paint peeling off.

motig, Jun 4, 10:24pm
Wives got a vitz imported by our local toyota dealer. What appears to be the gloss coating on the paint is peeling off, the paint underneath looks like the effect you get when your cars been left in the sun never polished for years. I'm getting the idea somethings a bit dodgy or is this a normal thing. We've had it about 3-4 years.

poppajn, Jun 4, 10:40pm
Normal, the clearcoat is lifting, it,s too do with sunlight I believe. but hang in here, tonight the consultant,s will be in and they know their stuff.

kazbanz, Jun 4, 10:52pm
Motig. Its the clear paint-called the clearcoat that is lifting off. Its not "dodgy" at all.
Theres several reasons for it happening -off the top of my head
1) too long between the colored paint and the clearcoat being applied.
2) too high a humidity level
3)mismatched products used
4)contaminants in the air
that is off the top of my head. theres bound to be other explainations.

luxy, Jun 5, 2:11am
take it back, under the "toyota cares " program, they should fix it. My friend did and they took it to thames and repainted it!

kazbanz, Jun 5, 2:15am
This of course was after your freind owned the car for 4 years.

grannypam, Jun 5, 2:18am
our Toyota has the same.and yes we have owned it for 4 years.an import though.lol

jerichord, Jun 5, 2:40am
it is the ultra violet sun down here, keep a good coat of wax on it once you have had it fixed,

motig, Jun 5, 3:28am
So is there an easy fix or does it all have be sanded back and completely redone.

elect70, Jun 5, 3:41am
^^^ yepno shortcut .$2Gat least

matt5209, Jun 5, 4:24am
Quote to fix the same problem on my Barina is for $300.

attitudedesignz, Jun 5, 5:22am
Huh! How do you come to that figure!

lookoutas, Jun 5, 5:33am
Probably coz there's no Insurance Co screwing with the price.

Perhaps OP needs to tell us what panels are peeling.
But a good genuine Q from someone who obviously doesn't know.

grangies, Jun 5, 6:42am
It's the cheap quality paint, not the NZ sun burn.

johnf_456, Jun 5, 6:48am
Heck, can you break this down

gunhand, Jun 5, 6:56am
4 door cars have 13 major panels.2x bumpers, 2x front gaurds, 4x doors, 2x back gaurds, 1x boot 1 x roof, 1x bonnet. divide that by $2000 and its an under quote really. Thats awhole car of course. And dosnt count sills and lower scuttle panel or top one either.

johnf_456, Jun 5, 7:07am
I was after his explanation not yours sorry. How do we know the whole cars need painting vs one door!

motig, Jun 5, 8:04am
Appears to be roof and probably rear hatch door.

gunhand, Jun 5, 8:09am
It was really just to show 2k goes nowhere really when painting when you break it down by the panel.And no, no one new till last post how many panels were being done.But to do it properly isnt an easy fix and not cheap.

johnf_456, Jun 5, 8:12am
I know, in my opinion its a waste of time of coming up with a magic number without a break down. Especially when its thousands, nothing against you, but yip good paint jobs are costly.

elect70, Jun 6, 2:27am
that was cash price forprime &base/cleaercoatwhole car . I took all fittingsbumpersetc off&filleddings&sand down .

kazbanz, Jun 6, 2:34am
Motig-Have a closer look. especially at the tops of the doors and the bonnet.
The first hint is discoloration of the paint.
If its just the roof you are up for about $300 -add another $200 for the back hatch

geedubu, Jun 6, 5:45am
Depends on the value of the car.Stripping & replacing the clearcoat is pricy and uncertain.for a cheapo fix & sell, or tidy & drive a really smart cut n polish can work cheap and better than I thought possible.Seen it happen.Try trademe & the guy with the most positive feedbacks under automotive serviceskeyword polish.Worked for me & quite a few others it appears.Not being more specific because I don't want a grizzle from trademe!

gus, Jul 27, 6:14am
Exactly same thing has just happened to a Vitz 2001 that I bought 2 weeks ago!! After these last days of heavy rain, the clearcoat has started to come off the roof real bad...