Wiring up an electric brake controller

chris.f, Jul 14, 3:32am
Hi,
I have a 1994 Landcruiser VX and want to have a go installing a Maxbrake1 proportional electric brake controller, (though I hate electrical work thought I might give it a go installing it).
There are 3 wires for the controller- ground,12V power and one that goes to the electric brake terminal on the car's 7 pin trailer plug.
Questions: I have a reel of twin strand 4.00mm cable lying around - is this ok to use to run back to the trailer plug if I just use a single strand. For the ground and power connection, can I use the same 4.00mm cable and run straight to the battery or should I be splicing it into some other part of the loom!

Hope some sparky or other knowledgeable person might be able to guide me in the right direction.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 14, 5:27am
That's a question that is really many questions. You need to know the load and voltage drop over the proposed distance for the cable.
http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

And what is the size of the wire. is it 4mm diameter or a 4mm² conductor.

Don't forget a fuse as close as possible to the 12V connection.

chris.f, Jul 14, 6:09am
How about taking the power feed off the cigarette lighter!

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 14, 9:55am
Depends on the answers to the questions above.

bigfatmat1, Jul 14, 10:15am
electric brakes draw three amps per brake. so 6amps single axle 12 amps dual axle I use 3mm cable To the battery through a 20amp or 30 amp self resettable circuit breaker. 3mm cable to the trailer plug pin 5 and upgrade the earth of the trailer plug to 3mm. The earth to the controllerI earth to the chassis under a bolt under the dash 3mm. I use .85mm cable for the signal wire to the controller.
Do not use cig lighter!

chris.f, Jul 14, 10:20am
The wiring that comes with the controller - one end fitted to a connector to clip into the controller, bare wires the other end, is only about 2mm diameter, (haven't got anything to measure it with accurately). The coil of wire I have is just labelled 4mm. The manual doesn't give the current draw.

There is enough wire in the supplied cable to connect to a cigarette powerplug so with that short distance I thought this might be the easiest route.

I'm not a sparky (obviously) so technically I'm challenged with terminology!

chris.f, Jul 14, 10:20am
The wiring that comes with the controller - one end fitted to a connector to clip into the controller, bare wires the other end, is only about 2mm diameter, (haven't got anything to measure it with accurately). The coil of wire I have is just labelled 4mm. The manual doesn't give the current draw -(edited - that's cause the draw is from the trailer magnets so how is the manual going to know that - doh!)

There is enough wire in the supplied cable to connect to a cigarette powerplug so with that short distance I thought this might be the easiest route.

I'm not a sparky (obviously) so technically I'm challenged with terminology!

bigfatmat1, Jul 14, 10:35am
make sure you read the instructions. The brakes draw 6amps per axle that is braked you want to allow for voltage drop 2mm cable will do three is ideal 4 is overkill. Most brake controllers are wired. black 12+ve white earth blue to electric brakes red signal wire from brake light switch. your controller sounds like it doesnt have the red wire. wire to battery for power through a self resettable circuit breaker.

bigfatmat1, Jul 14, 10:36am
RTM

chris.f, Jul 14, 10:43am
Thanks bigfatman1. Manual is pretty vague:
Quote "Insert power connector, and signal cable. One wire to the battery,
one wire to the ground, one wire to the brake switch and one wire to
the back of the vehicle to the trailer plug." Unquote
What's RTM!

mrfxit, Jul 14, 9:18pm
Read The Manual

Failing that, yea what BFM said or googlesearch forums maybe

lookoutas, Jul 14, 9:42pm
It's RTFM

mrfxit, Jul 14, 9:47pm
RTM for those that learn fast
RTFM for those that are hard of hearing
RTFMF (fool) for the wannabe's

lookoutas, Jul 14, 9:53pm
It's still a genuine Q from OP, and a couple of experts have helped.

Good tips to use a resettable breaker (within reach!) and not to plug into a cig-lighter.

mrfxit, Jul 14, 10:08pm
Totally agree

Mains wired
Fused
Better to be heavy on cable then light, particularly across the drawbar

bigfatmat1, Jul 14, 11:55pm
self resettable circuit breaker (automatic)

bigfatmat1, Jul 14, 11:56pm
I was being polite!

chris.f, Jul 15, 12:21am
Thanks guys for your advice. I hooked up the hydraulic side this morning but will leave the rest to a professionals. I took off the trailer plug and the wires are connected with a slotted screw that needs a right angled screwdriver to attach. I need reverse lights wired up and some solenoids wired up for my jet car, so will get that all done at the same time :-)

lookoutas, Jul 15, 1:50am
Even better - didn't read properly
Also didn't know such a gizmo breathed.