What year does car become classic ?

Page 2 / 2
hutchk, Jul 12, 9:07pm
Depends on insurance company - I have an '86 Jag insured under AMI's classic and vintage policy - so long as the car is 'low volume or special interest' and not used as your daily driver they are willing to negotiate the cutoff point.

rustihammer, Jul 12, 9:31pm
Depends on what type of chrysler it is I suppose!My wallet is waiting with eager anticipation.

smac, Jul 12, 9:44pm
tonyrockyhorror, now that I look at this (first time since is was pulled out of the old regs and put into this one)I think there is actually a typo in that regulation.

It s saying a vintage vehicle is one that: is at least 40 years old on the date that it is registered or reregistered.

This is quite plainly gibberish. Very rarely will a vehicle already be 40 years old "on the date that is it registered".

What I THINK they meant to say is, a vehicle that is 40 years old FROM that date is was registered. This would be 'date first registered' (here or overseas), and seems to be the policy they are applying in the letter quoted above.

gedo1, Jul 12, 9:48pm
Gentle suggestion TRH. re-read the last subsection of the item you quoted.
It can be read as 40 years old WHEN is is registered or re-registered - there is no reference to date for FIRST registration.Perhaps Dr Doolittle may care to reaffirm with Amanda as to the firm commencement date.Cheers

nzfatie, Jul 12, 9:50pm
QUOTE "The Motor Vehicle Register will automatically detect that a vehicle is 40 years old and any subsequent applications for a motor vehicle licence will be at the lower rate. This takes effect from 1 January on the year a vehicle turns 40 years old. The year is taken from the year of first registration, not the year of manufacture."

This was confirmed by my local VTNZ. I was looking at importing a 40 year old motorcycle from the USA and was told to get one with a title confirming when it was first registered, otherwise I couldn't get the classic rego discount.
The trouble with the NZTA is that there's 'legislation' and there's 'policy' which is their interpretation of the law.If you disagree with their interpretation you can take them to court, which people with deep pockets have done, often successfully!

omega12, Jul 12, 10:06pm
nzfatie wrote:
QUOTE "The Motor Vehicle Register will automatically detect that a vehicle is 40 years old and any subsequent applications for a motor vehicle licence will be at the lower rate. This takes effect from 1 January on the year a vehicle turns 40 years old. The year is taken from the year of first registration, not the year of manufacture."

How strange, I just rang the NZTA and they said it was taken from date of manufacture, not date of first registration.

nzfatie, Jul 12, 10:15pm
You usually get a different answer from the NZTA Help Desk every time you ring them.lol
Try and get them to send you something in writing, then you can use it as evidence if they change their mind later on!

dr.doolittle, Jul 12, 10:22pm
When my 1969 Cadillac turned 40 in 2009 I had to point out to them that it qualified for 'classic' rego otherwise they were trying to charge me the regular rate. Things may have change since then.

omega12, Jul 12, 10:27pm
It's a 1972 Chrysler CH.360.

omega12, Jul 12, 10:31pm
I have put the issue of 'when is the date taken from for your car to become a classic!' (date of reg v date of manufact.) with Andy Knackstead. He couldn't recall the answer and will get back to me when he finds out. Then I will let you all know as well. I have also asked him to let his people know as well, (I got a different answer when I rang a second time).we now wait with bated breath.

omega12, Jul 12, 10:57pm
Well, who would have thought. There is no official date when it comes to dating your vehicle. Most cars ex-overseas are taken by date of first registration anywhere in the world. However, NZ cars can be taken either by manufacture date or date of first registration. Apparently they aren't hard and fast on this, which is why we are getting different answers.

jason18, Jul 12, 11:21pm
I will let you know then when I get cheap rego on my coon in January. I also rang NZTA and they told me from the 1st of Jan that it turns 40

smac, Jul 12, 11:42pm
Regardless of which starting point they use, it's always 1st January, that bit isn't in doubt.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 13, 12:45am
Now that is a point I'm sure we can all agree on. Why do you think I go straight to the source for these things. Even the NZTA website is completely hopeless.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 13, 12:47am
You'll have to narrow it down to which link - there's just too many!

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 13, 12:51am
Yes, it should be 40 years from when it was manufactured, relicensed, re-registered or registered, whichever is greatest. Did you really expect much more from public servants though!

nzfatie, Jul 13, 2:49am
My friend has one of the first NZ assembled Chargers, made in late 1971. It was a showroom display model for a few weeks before being registered in early 1972. He got cheap classic rego earlier this year.it became eligible on the 1st January 2012, as per Amanda's letter.
If classic rego was based on the manufacture date, it would have been eligible 1st January 2011.
Clearly, the NZTA registration system is looking at the first rego date when considering classic rego.

Regarding the 1969 Cadillac that didn't click over automatically.that's probably because it's an import and doesn't have a 40+ year NZ rego history in the system, so had to be done manually.

jason18, Jul 13, 9:18am
I had no probs with my 71 valiant in 2011. It automatically charged.me low rego

brokebloke1, Jul 13, 11:34pm
my 1970 ford capri yes cheap rego cant wait to get it back on the road
do you have to renew rego on hold everyyear for a car over 40 years old ( rego is on hold till 18th august 2012 ) or does it just carry over to the next year till its wof .

gmphil, Jul 13, 11:52pm
Sweet just car jam my luv ute is 40 in january beter pull finger at mo if need power just put foot down like fred thats flinstone lol nice hole good re floor her

smac, Jul 14, 12:07am
Once a car is non-continuous licensing (40 years) it can sit for 2 years unlicensed without lapsing or incurring fees. So same rules as light trailers.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 14, 12:14am
That's just the difference between becoming eligible automatically or not, not a question of it being not being eligible. He could have successfully argued it was in fact a '71 thus meeting the criteria of the regulation.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 14, 12:17am
So, just to expand for his benefit, only after 2 years of it going unlicenced does it need an exemption or a licence issued to prevent it from being deregistered.