What year does car become classic ?

Page 1 / 2
tencannz, Jul 12, 3:08am
and what year does cheaper redgo apply. Cheers, Colin.

poppajn, Jul 12, 3:12am
40 year,s to get classic rego.

zooki007, Jul 12, 3:13am
40yrs from first reg date. So anything first reg in 1972, or earlier, to qualify for classic reg now.

zooki007, Jul 12, 3:13am
Haha poppajn beat me to it :)

tencannz, Jul 12, 3:17am
Thanks guys, got a few years to wait yet! Cheers.

alimac1, Jul 12, 3:35am
Nothing to do with the year, unless you are after cheap licence

dr.doolittle, Jul 12, 4:21am
I thought it was from year of manufacture, not first reg.
IE: you import a 40+yr old car, you get classic/cheap rego as soon as it's 'First' registered.

nzfatie, Jul 12, 6:55am
x1
No, Zooki is correct.it's from the year of first rego anywhere in the world, not manufacture. If you import an old vehicle from overseas make sure you get one with a title showing when it was first registered and you'll be okay. Many are sold on eBay with just a bill of sale, no title. Avoid those ones as you can't prove to the NZTA when it was first registered overseas, so won't qualify for 40+ year old classic rego.
Vehicles become classics for insurance purposes after 30 years.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 10:16am
No apostrophe in that word and certainly never a comma like you have put.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 10:19am

jason18, Jul 12, 10:34am
Spot on. I rang them last week and they said it applies from the 1st of January if the car is 40 years old. My XA is accepted for classic rego 1st jan next year. She told me to just buy a little over jan 1st

nzfatie, Jul 12, 12:13pm
Sorry Tony you're wrong.
Here's a letter from the NZTA (courtesy of oldschool.co.nz ) on the subject.

Good afternoon .

Thank you for your email dated 31 January 2011.

I have noted your suggestion to have information on our website relating to over 40 year old vehicles. Thank you for taking the time to contact us about this.

The Motor Vehicle Register will automatically detect that a vehicle is 40 years old and any subsequent applications for a motor vehicle licence will be at the lower rate. This takes effect from 1 January on the year a vehicle turns 40 years old. The year is taken from the year of first registration, not the year of manufacture.

Once a vehicle reaches 40 years of age it is no longer subject to continuous vehicle licensing. Effectively this means that licence fees do not need to be paid for any period that it is unlicensed and it can remain unlicensed for two years before the registration will be automatically cancelled.

There is no usage category for a vehicle that is used only rarely and/or for short trips. However, as an over 40 year old vehicle does not need to be continuously licensed, a licence can be purchased for any specified period from one day on lodgement of an Application to Licence Motor Vehicle (MR27 form). This means that you would only need to licence your vehicle for the times you would be using it. The MR27 can only be lodged at an agent of the NZ Transport Agency (NZ Post, AA, VTNZ or VINZ) and a transaction fee of $7.48 will be applied to each licence application.

I have provided some 12 month licence fee comparisons below to give you an indication of the difference between an over and under 40 year old vehicle.

Less Than 40 Years
Passenger Car/Van $287.87
Goods Van/Truck/Utility $333.51

Over 40 Years
Passenger Car/Van $111.92
Goods Van/Truck/Utility $111.92

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Regards

Amanda

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 12:45pm
No, I'm not. The legislation is there for anyone to read. It's clear as day. 'Amanda' is patently WRONG - legislation overrules her belief whatever that may be.

fordkiwi27, Jul 12, 12:54pm
well.tony does know a lot. he is our tmmb police keeper in liner. rules are made to be broken, but i know how to break em. good on ya

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 1:07pm
I have this apparently annoying habit of generally only posting on subjects I know with facts I can back up. I don't claim to "know it all", despite assertions to that effect made by insecure individuals.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 1:07pm

fordkiwi27, Jul 12, 1:11pm
yep.i think you and greg king would be the tag team from nam!

omega12, Jul 12, 1:12pm
How can a system automatically detect a vehicle is 40yrs old from date of manufacture when the first time it is in the system is when it's registered! I'd go with year of registration as date of manufacture isn't recorded.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 1:16pm
The year of manufacture is recorded. Look at the records from a used import. First registered in NZ might be 2006, but it's still listed as a model from the year it is manufactured.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 1:18pm

fordkiwi27, Jul 12, 1:21pm
all the old coons are hitting the golden 40 this year. and jappas even!gotta rate that

rustihammer, Jul 12, 8:38pm
x2
My Val is 40 next year. Yay!

dr.doolittle, Jul 12, 9:03pm
I wonder what would happen if you imported a car based on the info in that email! Would "Amanda" foot the bill if you couldnt get it registered!

poppajn, Jul 12, 9:04pm
Tony'
Regarding you; comment#9 on my #4; please excuse me. As you note; grammer and spelling are not feild;s I excell in.

omega12, Jul 12, 9:07pm
And my Chryser (anyone calls it a Valiant and I'll shoot them) is 40!YAY!