Wheel Clamp for my trailer. A good brand?

rjgmjs, Jul 9, 10:03am
Moving soon, and my fairly new trailer will be parked on my property, for all to see. Probably a good idea to buy a wheel clamp in hope it wont get pinched. Lots for sale on T/M, but whats a good brand/model to go with! Happy to pay $120.00 tops. Cheers RJ

gunhand, Jul 9, 10:06am
What about a ball lock thingy!Less hassle to fit etc and way cheaper.

rjgmjs, Jul 9, 10:17am
Not sure what you mean man! Can u describe how they fit. RJ

skin1235, Jul 9, 10:18am
was going to say wrap a chain through the drawbar and around a tree with a good padlock

but a couple of years ago I had my quad on the trailer in the shed with a chain through the drawbar and through the quad and around the pole holding the roof up
came in the next morning to find some thievin rswipe had cut a 300mm piece out of the pole, and walked the trailer with quad and chain almost 600 mtr to the road, right past the bedroom windows

now I just set up the 12 gauge and a tripwire

gunhand, Jul 9, 10:20am
Its a ball type item that slots up into the coupling and you lock it with a key. Get a good one though.Means the trailer cant be put on a towball.

skin1235, Jul 9, 10:21am
2 piece ball fits up into the towbar, and key locks in place, cannot be removed without either the key or a LOT of noise, is larger than a normal towball and cannot be released by usual methods ie lever or screwset

skin1235, Jul 9, 10:24am
sorry gunny, thought you'd taken a nap, lol

gunhand, Jul 9, 10:25am
Na, just winding up general, or trying to lol.

jason18, Jul 9, 10:26am
Just bought a Trojan one off here for cheap. Check my latest feedback

rjgmjs, Jul 9, 10:36am
Thanks skin/gunhand/jason. I'll make inquires tomorrow. Cheers RJ

henderson_guy, Jul 9, 6:33pm
I would do both a ball lock AND a chain or something similar, my old boss would feed a chain through the wheel spokes on one side of his tandem so that both wheels were chained together.

dr.doolittle, Jul 9, 6:58pm
Whatever method you use I'd recommend you also use a wheel clamp of any make.
In clear view it will deter the opportunist thief straight away as being 'too hard' & make them less likely to enter your property where they may see something else they like.

supernova2, Jul 10, 10:03am
Take the wheels off.Unless they come with wheels it not going to be easy to move it very far.