Selling an 1988 Honda City.

goatchickens, Jul 9, 12:06am
Still runs, had passed most recent WOF, but this was nearly 2 years ago.It's been off-road since, and rego is on hold.She's got over 100K on her, but always ran well.I don't know what she'd need to be made road worthy at this stage, and as we already have 2 cars to maintain, she's got to go.How can I determine a value, if any, or does she just go for scrap!

bellky, Jul 9, 12:08am
$1 Reserve!

jasongroves, Jul 9, 12:09am
I would start by taking it for a WOF and finding out if there are any issues in that regard.
It may pass or may only need minor fixes to pass.
Even if it fails and you decide not to fix, you have the WOF sheet to show potential buyers.
Worth about $150-$200 as scrap, anywhere from $600-$1500 with a WOF depending on condition.

texastwo, Jul 9, 12:14am
Absolutely cars without WoF, or even a report sheet, are worth 1/10th of what they will fetch with one.

goatchickens, Jul 9, 12:41am
Thanks for the advice!WOF it is then.8 )

franc123, Jul 9, 12:48am
Definitely, a woman down the end of the street here recently sold a very average 86 model no problem within two days for $1700, which I guess proves all the while we have these stubbornly high fuel prices there are no shortage of people willing to cough good money for these old death traps. Good luck with getting the new wof.

mlh19658, Jul 9, 4:16am
MIL had one. From new. Went for $1500. 86K reg and warrant. She sold after 85th birthday. Paint was a bit rough but had always been kept in her garage. Was good little goer.

morrisman1, Jul 9, 5:19am
A friend sold one down here, only had about 60,000km on it. sold for $2400. People are crazy about small cars because of fuel prices and will pay a premium for them

goatchickens, Jul 9, 7:05am
Thanks again, I really do appreciate the input.

wrong2, Jul 9, 7:19am
thats not a sale

thats a robbery

godawefull cars - essentially worthless

flack88, Jul 9, 8:25am
Dosnt look worthless if some people are prepared to pay 2400 dolla for the POS eh!!

supernova2, Jul 9, 8:38am
I remember when thge Honda City first arrived.Interior like a mini - painted rails etc.Took one for a test drive.Doors pulled out from opening at just over 100.dealer said not supposed to drive it that quick.I ask then why it go that quick.No answer.Didnt buy it, just drove home in my rusty Mini.

texastwo, Jul 9, 8:53am
Even if it doesnt get one it at least will stop a lot of stupid questions when you put it up for sale

franc123, Jul 9, 8:58am
Theres a difference between robbery and cashing in on peoples silliness, which a few enterprising folk are doing at the bottom end of the market. In the last few years because of high scrap prices and the resulting scrapathon that went on, there has been a bit of a shortage of good cheap and useable road legal vehicles, many of the cars you see in scrapyards are often in need of some repairs here and there but are otherwise good, but the dumb owners couldn't be bothered doing that cambelt or that trans service and something died expensively, or otherwise did something else stupid like letting the registration lapse, and instantly made an uneconomic excercise out of making it useable again. Combine that with the media and car dealers saying that there basically won't be any cheap fresh imports any more and perhaps more people less willing to pay things off, high fuel prices and hence you get the public circling around those 1988 Citys, 1990 Corollas, 1992 Pulsars etc like vultures with wallets open prepared to pay silly money for them by historic standards.

dice4, Jul 9, 10:47am
If it runs I'm very interested in it with no wof. I say list it!