2010 Holden Astra

figjam999, Jul 6, 8:07am
Looking at purchasing a manual version, good points! bad points! T.I.A

figjam999, Jul 6, 8:11am
Doesn't seem too bad, quite tidy tho 50'000 k's

advantage001, Jul 6, 9:25am
Great cars but 2009 was the last year of manufacture. Can't be a 2010.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 9:30am
My bad point would be the dealer. If you are going to rely on Holden for servicing etc check out your local one carefully. My experience with one dealer has been abysmal with them charging twice the quoted price for half the work. When it was pointed out they breached the consumer guarantees and fair trading acts they just brow beat the customer. Not cool.

Also, check out where else you can get parts for it. With anything Holden dealers sell I have found they like to tie up the parts supply and charge absurd money for things. Don't count on getting stuff from the likes of Repco as they can be just as bad. Ideally you might find a third party genuine parts supplier, thats how I source parts in NZ for VW, Fiat etc.

For example an air flow meter for the previous Vectra from Repco is $960 retail and about $800 trade. This is a common part that would cost you about $100 NZD over the counter in the U.K.

You can of course just order stuff form the U.K direct but you have to ask yourself do you want the hassle when purchasing a fairly new car and have choices.

Not meaning to put you off, just do your homework first. Happy shopping!

treachug, Jul 6, 10:01am
So one bad experience with one dealer tars the 75 odd other dealers though out nz with the same brush!
wow.trust me you got it wrong.
But back to the question.good cars, improved over the previous models (which were fine) & yep, handle well, go good & reasonably fuel efficient.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 10:10am
I said to check their local dealer and warned them to be cautious, I didn't tar them all with one brush at all. However, your attitude makes me wonder if you are another Holden Dealer as its similar to what I experienced locally.

Also that dosn't solve the parts issue.

I am usually the first to be pro-European brands and not sweat the parts issue, however my limited experience with Opel in NZ left me ordering everything from the U.K. because the prices were just absurd from Holden and Repco. (BNT couldn't source what I wanted but some of their prices were better)

There may be a 3rd party importer I don't know about though.

treachug, Jul 6, 10:26am
haha, nah, dont worry, not a Holden dealer - just worked at one selling parts for a few years or more so know the background with parts pricing etc. A lot of it stems around Holden Nz being a seperate stand alone entity to Holden aussie, having to 'purchase' parts from Holden in aussie, parts distribution in Nz being in a managed warehouse scenario (linfox for many years, now ceva logistics). Agreed sometimes prices are bit odd - Holden Nz set the prices based on aussie prices etc, with freight obviously bulit in. If Nz has not got the part, the dealer can fly it overnight from aussie at no extra charge - thats a bonus!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 10:38am
I certainly don't begrudge people making a profit, especially when adding value like convenience. In fact even paying twice the price if it supports local business and is convenient often won't deter me.

However, when they are working in the 1000% - 2000% markup range for fairly common parts I start to get septic.

In fairness, Repco were just as bad but it dosn't make it right, and Aus/NZ exchange rates don't affect things that much.

Now, all of that said. I only priced up half a dozen or so parts before I gave up. Perhaps they are better on some models or certain parts. You may know. But as far as what I saw, it was enough to warrant warning someone about.

treachug, Jul 6, 10:48am
Fair enough.