Fuel gauge fault

kazbanz, Jul 1, 4:05am
In a 2004 1500cc toyota Funcargo I've got a fuel gauge fault thats driving me potty.
In the funcargo the fuel levelsender unit is mounted on the side of the fuel pump. Its a simple float on the end of a wire type so nothing fancy.The whole thing drops in from the top of the tank.
The display is digital so no needle to stick.
The gauge was displaying about half a tank.
The customer filled the car but the gauge diddn't move.
To fix it we removed the fuel pump/sender unit. Its possible it may have been stuck because we could see nothing out of the ordinary and refitted it. The gauge then went up to the correct level.
all good -a couple of weeks went by and the customer is back--YES the gauge works perfectly from full to half full but then it stops going down.
So we remove the whole pump/sender unit and swap it from another car we know its working in.
all seems fine.
Just had a call from the customer-they have done 170km and the gauge hasn't moved.
What on earth could be causing this issue!

hijacka, Jul 1, 7:21am
Is the DTE working! Reason i ask is that if the gauge is showing half full but the DTE is showing ''say'' 50km left, then i think this would mean the ecu is picking up the signal from the sender unit and means the sender is working fine. Might be a simple bad earth!

flossy64, Jul 1, 7:28am
My fuel/temp gauges starting playing up as my battery started to fail in my Silvia. Were fine after it was replaced. Could be something to check.

kazbanz, Jul 2, 6:06am
OR it could be something so stupid I forgot to check for it--argggggg

kazbanz, Jul 5, 6:40am
in case anybody cares.The fault was a great big dent in the bottom of the fuel tank. it had come in so far the plastic baffle inside had bent so it touched the sender.

supernova2, Jul 5, 6:52am
Well done Kaz.How did you sort it - big stick in pump hole and a big hammer!

saturn51, Jul 5, 11:15am
Kazbanz,may be worth a read.Fuel systems have probably changed since the eighties but we had a run of Sigmas with tank vents blocked.The bottom of the tank used to compress due to the fuel pump vacuum.These cars stopped dead on a trip till the pressure eventually equalised.You could hear hissing from the fuel cap.

kazbanz, Jul 6, 12:36am
Gosh I wish it was that simple-The only way to "fix" it was to replace the tank.
Horrible plastic baffles inside had caved in so there was no way to get to the dent from inside and even if we did no promise that the baffle would slide/fall back to the right shape.

supernova2, Jul 6, 1:47am
Not only is the cap correct but is the venting system, whatever it may be, working properly!

kazbanz, Jul 6, 2:12am
No --it was a damaged baffle in the tank

countrypete, Jul 6, 4:13am
Yeah, I remember that, as was working for a Mitsubishi dealer at the time.The problem was that when they assembled and welded the fuel tanks together in the plant, they didn't remove the sticky part number label.It fell off when filled with fuel, sloshed around inside the tank, and every so often would get lodged in the vent or the intake.Car would stop, then restart for no apparent reason.

tazcsv, Jul 6, 4:37am
supernova2 wrote:
Well done Kaz.How did you sort it - big stick in pump hole and a big hammer![/quot
Step 1 Drain the tank
Step 2 Hold a gas torch over the opening
Step 3 Pop , no more dent

kazbanz, Jul 6, 4:48am
Nope step three BANG no more car-The baffle is plastic and busted

tazcsv, Jul 6, 4:51am
Still , no more dent tho :)