Holden Experts please.. I own a 2005 vz sv6 sedan i love it to bits but it has 1 major fault which i think is fairly common afte

Page 1 / 2
jazzy1231, Aug 26, 9:30pm
i own a 2005 vz sv6 sedan i love it to bits, but. it has 1 major fault which i think is fairly common. After a car wash or if ive been driving in the rain, and i go to pop open the boot, a s#it load of water pours all over my stuff in the boot from the boot lid. Question is, is there a way of fixing this. has anyone had this happen and what did you do to fix this.

dave653, Aug 26, 10:09pm
Check the drainholes in the lower edge, I found filler in ours that looked like it was done in the factory! Also, condensation builds up inside too.

vtecintegra, Aug 26, 10:12pm
Is the water sitting on the boot lid then running into the boot when you open it! Thats a design problem that quite a few cars have.

If you keep a good coating of wax on the paint then hopefully most of the water will run off by itself before you actually open the boot.

rickroller, Aug 27, 7:25am
The above poster is correct. Many dealers were actually told to refrain from opening the trunk for customers if it had been raining beforehand. This problem was eventually fixed by Holden but many cars slipped through.

guider1, Aug 27, 7:49am
Does it have a spoiler on he bootid!

topzone, Aug 27, 8:15am

holdenss, Aug 27, 8:27am
Isnt the 2005/pre just VY S!I had a 2006 model, wasnt the 2006-09 the updated facelift SV6 models! Im confused because I always come across people calling there 03/04/05s SV6s when there actually S model v6 arent they!Can someone clear this up for me! To your Question, I didnt have that problem with mine.

guider1, Aug 27, 9:22am
I have seen a few that have been fitted with a boot spoiler have this problem due to the spoiler not being sealed when fitted; also where the boot garnish attaches to the rear of the bootlid there are supposed to be little round rubbery seals around each bolt. I have seen them missing from new. There is no way at all that water can get inside the bootlid unless there is a hole through the outer skin that has not been sealed.

bubbles244, Aug 27, 12:45pm
dont think of years, think of model platforms

specific to the engine category

all before the VZ series I ran the 3.8 known as the "ecotec", the Supercharged 3.8 "S" or the 5.7 litre "SS".

the SV8 first appeared in the top end VY series II Executive only with the
Gen III v8. I was basically a rental car with the go fast bits from the HSV.
No leather trim etc etc

after VYII ended production the alloytec 3.6 litre was introduced as standard.
this is where you find the series I VZ sv6 and sv8 from august 2003

August is GM's calendar year so the VZ was for sale before 2004.

monzaman, Aug 27, 1:30pm
Hate to burst you commodore fans bubbles but god as stated in this link absolutely did not create commodores,Opel in fact did in late 60s with a 6cyl engine (based on cam-in-head 4cyl engine) fitted into opel rekord coupes and hey presto-first commodore,Just GM Spares in Blenheim had one a few years ago,same engine continued for a good 20 years as in my Monza GSE,still goes like new at 150.000 miles,been in Auckland car shows last few years.just saying.

croco1, Aug 27, 2:20pm
Yep it's common knowledge that the first Holden Commodores were based on an Opal design but re'engineered by Holden for Australia, most Holden Commodore fans know it.

guider1, Aug 27, 7:29pm
Your point is! There's always got to be one to state the obvious in every thread.

bjmh, Aug 27, 7:56pm
getting off the original thread .but i was always under the illusion that the V6 comode was based on an early Buick engine !

guider1, Aug 27, 8:01pm
The engine is/was, yes.

guider1, Aug 27, 8:03pm
jazzy1231. there will be a reason the water is getting in there such as what I stated above. water cannot get into a sealed compartment any other way.

racetoy, Aug 27, 8:15pm
BA xr6 falcons do it too.the worst one i have found is the ford territory.also porche cayene im a car valet so i get to see that stuff everyday

croco1, Aug 28, 5:00am
It was, Holden redesigned / engineered it for the new VN commodore model after stopping with the 6 cyl 2 & 3 litre nissan motor in the VL

jkm, Aug 28, 5:14am
And a bl.dy good motor too, that 3.8L! Greatwork horse!

guider1, Aug 28, 7:03am
I agree jkm. I have one VR at 351000km & my mates VT has clicked over 410000km now.

sathan81, Aug 28, 8:56am
all of my old holdens done this 93, 95,96,98,99,and 2001 had always leaked in the boot i looked every where to find these leaks some had boot spoilers some didnt the only holden so far that hasnt done this is my current 2000 holden ute lol

likit, Aug 29, 1:11am
Same problem with my VT.

dave653, Aug 29, 9:35pm
I eventually found the boot lid was condensating inside! Wondered why the carpet was wet, over winter, with no rain. I removed the rubber bungs from the floor and kept the carpet folded back till it dried out, and with no bungs. ventilation.

guider1, Aug 30, 1:12am
Normally, as I said earlier, you will find the boot garnish hasnt been sealed or on the VN-VS models the little lights on the bootlid arent sealed or the boot spoiler hasnt been sealed properly.
I've worked on &/or wrecked alot of them & havenever not been able to fix the problem.
Water doesnt travel uphill so it's impossible for it to get in any other way.

guider1, Aug 30, 1:12am
All the Commodores have ventilation from factory.

dave653, Aug 30, 1:57am
Not enough to combat 'real wet'.