Falcon versus commodor economy

reggienz, Jul 4, 9:13pm
Can some one please help! I know theres those of you who say a smaller car is more economical but thats not really my experiance. Im thinking of a commodor or falcon, about 2000 model. Can some one please give me actual figures. ie, ltrs/100 Km . I'm past the lead foot type of driving and spend a lot of the time on the open road at around 100 KPH.

hopie, Jul 4, 9:22pm
this will get interesting.

V6 or V8, auto, manual! Ive got a manual V8 commodore and it drinks the gas, but i dont care so.

smac, Jul 4, 9:23pm
V6 Falcon!

budgel, Jul 4, 11:05pm
If the difference in fuel economy between the two is important maybe a smaller car would be a better choice.

kwaka5, Jul 4, 11:09pm
Drive both and see what you like. You either want one or you want something entirely different.
Both are much the same for fuel economy. I have a falcon and brother inlaw had a commy and they were basically about the same. just slightly different looks and features(model dependant)

thejazzpianoma, Jul 4, 11:20pm
There is a lot more to it than just "smaller = more economical" you need to look at what technology the car has.
Neither the Falcon or the Commodore are good choices for economy even on the open road.

carclan, Jul 5, 12:47am
I have V8 05 BA Fairmont and it does around 10 to 10.5 litres to 100km on the open road and about 12-14 around town. My XR6 ute will do around 8.5 on the open road and about 11-13 around town

paulap, Jul 5, 1:22am
My v6 commodore does 11 litres/100km. Town and open road driving.

chris_051, Jul 5, 1:32am
Ive had 2 au futuras and one would get 7.6l/100km and the other 8l/100km consistently.
My manual xr6 ute would do 8.5, my 4.0 vct Fairlane 9l/100km. All open road driving over the same roads and style.
The standard AUs with the lower power engine and live rear axle forte/futura/fairmonts seem to be the best on gas. the one I had that returned 7.6l/100km could do just under 850km on one tank.
No experience with Commodores but I would guess they are the same, if not there isn't much between them. Great open road cars you can't go wrong why settle for some small cramped gutless 4 cylinder shit box giving you false perception of better economy.

morrisjvan, Jul 5, 4:04am
BA wagon 9.5 on a run.

msigg, Jul 5, 5:11am
I think in those years your looking at they will be much of a muchness.

casper35, Jul 5, 7:03am
2005 xr6 8.5 on a trip.

franc123, Jul 5, 8:56am
Thats right, there is more to it, that technology is well proven unstressed large displacement engines that are good for very high mileages without expensive problems, with decent amounts of power and torque when needed, uses a lean cruise mode when conditions allow, and deliver a very reasonable 7-10L/100km under normal road conditions, all with a high degree of reliability, and also at a very reasonable price both new and secondhand with excellent parts and service backup nationwide (even in smaller towns) available should you require it. Possible with aGerman or Italian car in NZ do you think!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 5, 10:04am
LOL, just as predicted, someone takes one tiny aspect of design and pretends its soley responsible for an outcome that isn't even favorable anyway.

You should work for the Police, they are great at taking a sample of one weekend and then claiming victory while ignoring weather conditions, price of fuel and a million other factors.

This large "unstreased" nonsense ceased to be a notable factor in the 60's. You are also showing your out of date thinking by stating 7-10l/100 km at cruise is "very reasonable".

All we need now is for morrisman to come along and attempt to impress people with some junk science that sounds impressive but still completely ignores most of the factors at play.

You know, it must really annoy you that little highly stressed engines as used in European commercial vans are known to do well over a million km's and still be going strong.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 5, 10:10am
Got it in one actually! LOL.

I have been having a terrific run of late, but as always I got on a roll and overdid things. Was a shame as the weather was brilliant here today and despite numerous attempts I didn't really manage to get much outside work done.

No panic though, I bounce back pretty quick these days, none of this stuck in bed for weeks carryon anymore.

Cheers for checking on me!

chris_051, Jul 5, 11:44pm
put it in perspective, you got a large 2 tonne 6 cylinder car with the ability to tow over 2 tonne with ease, pull low 14 second 1/4 mile, seat 5 in comfort and return low 7s on a trip which is nothing to write off.

Plenty of high strung euros that have done over a million, I don't doubt but how many timing chains/tensioners/guides, electronic injectors, injector/common rail pumps, turbos did they chew through on the way to that figure, compare the costs of a high strung small capacity euro agaist an 'old tech' unstressed ford 4.0/holden3.8/chev LS1/Nissan TD42 etc and the bigger engines will kill them $/km R&M I'll put money on it.

ema1, Jul 6, 12:11am
So will I.

nigel109, Jul 6, 12:40am
I can go 720ks on a tank in my BF Falcon (open road) with a bit of over taking etc.