Thermostat?

mileyfan73, Jul 2, 10:28am
Lately,whenever driving down long descents my temperature gauge slowly drops from halfway down to cold.Then when I'm back cruising along flat roads it goes back up to it's normal reading.Would a stuck open thermostat cause this!Car is a 99 Accord.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 2, 10:45am
I would say yes its possible the thermostat isn't closing completely. The fact its getting up to temperature at all though would indicate its working to some degree though.
Its 13 years old so likely long over due for a new thermostat. Are you running proper coolant thats in good condition!

franc123, Jul 2, 10:52am
More than likely, pretty common on older Hondas for that to happen. You may have also noticed it takes a fair while for the gauge to register after cold start!

thewomble1, Jul 2, 11:15am
less heat produced from the motor going down a hill so water temperature will drop but the thermostat should start closing so as to keep the water at the correct temperature. Could be faulty thermostat.

mugenb20b, Jul 3, 2:26am
Yes. It's behind the elbow attached to the bottom radiator hose. Remove air intake pipe for better access.