Wanted: Recent "Passed' Full Driving Licencer

Page 1 / 2
jungleboy1, Jul 1, 7:01am
I am sitting my full licence soon.and was wonder if any could go over some of the their expericence with me. Or answer some questions and share a few things to look out for etc

bad_boy_1, Jul 1, 7:05am
well i did last month drove round block got told not to follow so closeand answer the questions it was easy s

modie61, Jul 1, 7:06am
Got mine 1 month ago.

sr2, Jul 1, 7:11am
Please stop making me feel so old. (I got my licence 40 years ago!).

modie61, Jul 1, 7:17am
Hey jungle,do you the route they take you on !

jungleboy1, Jul 1, 7:22am
I am old myself (36) but lacking a bit of self confordince.I being a passenger in few crashes so this kicked me back.What sort of questions did the ask!

modie61, Jul 1, 7:29am
To get my p endorsment i had to sit my full licence theory and driving test,after 42 years it was an eye opener,no reversing,hill starts or parallel parking.
They more concentrated on hazard detection and response. Speed is closely watched and all the rest like 2 hands on the wheel,scanning the mirrors and ahead,following distances etc.
I had to give a commentary at roundabouts on the hazards and responses to them,took 3o mins,20 mins driving,oh and your car must have a current WOF and Reg.,they will get you to work,indicators,brakes,lights,-
high and low beam,while they watch.

modie61, Jul 1, 7:31am
He asked me where the demister control was on the car,where the parking brake was,also the rear demister if its fitted with 1. Once underway,he only gave directions and asked for the above mentioned commentary.

sr2, Jul 1, 7:32am
you're not old mate, good luck with the test- you'll be fine.

jungleboy1, Jul 1, 7:36am
So who in kapiti sat the test recently!

jungleboy1, Jul 1, 7:44am
Do you time answer few question.

modie61, Jul 1, 7:45am
Bout 10 mins

aragorn2003, Jul 1, 7:46am
Do you do atheory test do you! Im sitting mine next week

modie61, Jul 1, 7:50am
aragorn,i did my class 2 and P at the same time. So yes.

socram, Jul 1, 7:51am
48 years and two two weeks ago for me - feels like yesterday that I had a week of the collywobbles.Tipped all the lead type fonts, which were a mess anyway, into a large heap and spent most of the week prior to the test sorting them out.
I had the motorbike test followed straightaway by the car test and ended up with the same tough examiner for both. He even tried to catch me out on the Highway Code questions, by asking me the stopping distances at various speeds, as they were printed on the outside of the code cover.Most people never read that bit, thinking it was just a bit of additional info and not part of the code.I had learned them all!

Best of luck.

jungleboy1, Jul 1, 7:52am
What sort of harzards did you have talk about or is there a way to answer them .Like name the harzard then say how you could approch it or fix it!

modie61, Jul 1, 7:58am
Yea the main hazards are in the road code,basically its anything that is moving in front,behind and either side of you. I only got asked approaching a roundabout,you must give what the hazard is and how you would react to it,like,saying if any of those hazards come into my path ,i will come to a complete stop.

modie61, Jul 1, 7:59am
Yep thats correct. Dont talk too much though.Just the basics,if he asks you to do it more than twice,you may have missed something.

terckon, Jul 1, 8:03am
Stopping distances! What a joke, are you going to get out/off of your car/bike and measure them! Shows you how stupid the knowledge required to drive a vehicle is.

modie61, Jul 1, 8:05am
In my 35 questions,i didnt have any questions on stopping distances,only following distances in time.

modie61, Jul 1, 8:06am
Jungle,you will have to excuse me for awhile,i must lay a cable and make a coffee,lol,in that order too. Back later.

socram, Jul 1, 8:25am
Far from it.Knowing just how long it takes to stop a car from 50kph or 100kph is useful info.The point they made was that you were being examined on your knowledge of the published Highway Code /Road Code.
The two second rule following distance is useful and if you don't realise just how long it takes to stop a car from speed, with thinking distance added to stopping distance, then I suggest you think again.
Nowadays with modern tyres, brakes and ABS, no doubt the distances today are considerably less than in 1964!In fact, my own road car stops from 100kph to zero in about 26 metres, a figure undreamed of 45 years ago, but the thinking distance is still the same.

modie61, Jul 1, 8:26am
When is your test day jungle !

jungleboy1, Jul 1, 8:29am
I going to book it for August

gunhand, Jul 1, 8:30am
Well having a basic idea of far it takes to stop a car at certain speeds is a good thing to know as many think they can defiy the laws of physics and are far to good a driver to worry about such things. Being told how far it actually takes to stop should make you better awhere of hazards ahead of you but its highly unlikely many think much past the front wheels.