Driving Wellington To Ohakune?

Page 1 / 2
zephyrheaven, Jun 26, 7:32am
Have a wedding to attend in October in Fish Island, not a huge fan of flying again for some reason - so looking at a drive.
Chch to Picton easy as, driven to Auckland a few times - but google mapping seems to prefer I tiki tour to Waiuru then head left!

Anyone know the other route - looks a bit windy in places, time will be a factor as well

Also - anyone wanna come run my workshop for a week in October lololololo

phillip.weston, Jun 26, 7:40am
James mate just go the main route -

Wellington -> Sanson/Bulls -> Hunterville -> Taihape -> Waiouru -> Ohakune.

Going through Wanganui and Raetihi would be the route with the most windy of roads.

grangies, Jun 26, 7:44am
Straight up to Waiuru then left to Ohakune is the way to go.

There's a few windy bits but they're nothing over the top.

zephyrheaven, Jun 26, 8:06am
Yeah looks hell windy / slow Raetihi way - but I wanna go to Horopito soooo bad waaaaaa

countrypete, Jun 26, 8:59am
The Paraparas between Wanganui and Raetihi is an awesome drive, but the buggers are ruining it by removing a lot of the cool corners and creating more gentle curves!In terms of time it's six of one etc, but the SH1 route is definitely a more relaxing but boring drive.Horopito is the other side of Ohakune so it doesn't matter which way you go to 'Kune.

zephyrheaven, Jun 26, 9:02am
Ahh, OK so I can probably still do it

Hmm, anyone hazard a real time drive from WLG to OH - again, drive time calculators are a bit of a joke - even I dont stop for a wee & a coffee that much!!

countrypete, Jun 26, 9:14am
He he he.When i were a lot younger I made Paremata to Ohakune in 2 hrs flat.280kms then.But I would not try that now.It's 310 odd from the ferry, and depending on what time of day you really need to allow 3 hours.More if your ferry arrives anywhere near 5pm

franc123, Jun 26, 11:27am
No I wouldn't either, you'd be put under arrest if you were caught. I can't see you being able to average the high speed needed over the whole trip, even at night given there are at least 10 towns enroute with substantial 50kph zones. The trip from Foxton onwards especially would have to be done at 170 odd minimum at a rough guess which wouldn't always be possible. Even 3 hours is far too optimistic in normal traffic.

n1smo_gtir, Jun 26, 11:42am
i used to do foxton to lower hutt on a daily basis. quickest time was 1hr 10mins. this involved going over haywards. 5pm departing wgtn has to be worst time as thats when northbound is congested from commuters finish work. 4pm is not bad to leave wgtn. also used to do wgtn to rotorua very 2 wks n i find most highway patrols sit between sanson and just out of foxton.

tigra, Jun 26, 9:14pm
Even 4pm is pretty busy these days. 5pm to 6pm expect to be held up.

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 12:10am
takes about 4:00-4:30 with stops from Taumarunui to Wellington so should be about 30 mins less than that.

richardmayes, Jun 27, 12:31am
That's not a Tiki tour, that's the main road!

You could go to Wanganui then up the Parapara Poad to Raetihi, but I wouldn't.

bcbuilding, Jun 27, 2:34am
Parapara's are tame as nowadays, and depending on when you travel them you'll seegreat scenery. Saw a mob of 8 -10 reds at dusk no more than 200m off the road on Queens birthday - typical though, car full of kids and no rifle.

1 hour Wangas to Raetihi, then what 20mins to OH!Plus 2 1/2 - 3 out of wellies.

lookoutas, Jun 27, 5:42am
Jeez phill - 30 mins Taumarunui to Kune!
Would be easy on tyres, coz you'd hardly be touching the road.

Go via Waiouru and allow about 3 1/2 hours zeph.
I'll spam you my mobile, in case you've lost it. Could meet you at Horopito.

lookoutas, Jun 27, 6:35am
When approaching Foxton - stick to the speed limit or don't forget to say "Cheese"
After leaving Foxton - stick to the speed limit all the way to Waiouru. This is "Cop Alley" and the pricks often prowl in pairs between Bulls and Taihape.

The only thing to keep you from cruising at 100 + a bit, will be the road hogs. Don't know whether those concerned with windy bits are alluding to the windy bits or the windy bits, but there definitely ain't no windy bits any more, Although watch out for windy bits between the cuttings in the Manuwatu area.

zephyrheaven, Jun 27, 9:45am
Sweet sounds good, Horopito has to be done! Cheers guys

elect70, Jun 28, 1:42am
^^dont thinksmash palace exists anymore

bubbles244, Jun 28, 3:28am
2 hours is average speed is 140 kph
3 hours is 93.3 kph
very do able

lookoutas, Jun 28, 5:33am
That's the trouble with "thinking" - you're wrong.

richardmayes, Jun 28, 6:00am
ME-OW!

lookoutas, Jun 28, 6:21am
My apologies if you took it that way too elect, but I didn't mean to appear scratchy. And you could be right, it doesn't exist.
It was only ever called Smash Palace in the Movie but people seemed to enjoy calling it that afterwards. There is still a sign hanging with the name on it.
The correct name is Horopito Motors - for anyone wishing to contact them.

lpggas, Jun 28, 8:35am
We travel Wellington to turangi every 2ndweekend , we leave on Friday night about 8pm and can usually make turangi in 3hr 15 . That's with the cruise set to 110 which gives me a actual road speedclose enough to 100 to not have to worry about the blue & whites .I'm not afraid to jump on the go pedal to dispatch the dawdlers but you have to pick the places as the mobile tax collectors tend to target the best passing places . Be anal about your speed through the small towns as they really target those in particular hunterville & taihape . I've noticed recently they are sitting just on the outskirts of town in the 100km zone busting the people who speed up 100mts before the 100kmh signs .safe travels

sfw4, Jun 28, 9:52am
eww. sux alot of gas windng roads with too many hills. and theres no petrol stations

sfw4, Jun 28, 9:55am
Himatangi straight crawling with squad cars. set cruise control at 105ks. Levin is anada place where Police wait for speedsters

johnf_456, Jun 28, 9:55am
Just keep to a 100 problem solved, it appears to be very hard for some.