Approx $$ for motorbike gear for a learner?

Page 1 / 2
disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 4:53am
I'm looking at purchasing my first bike, but obviously need to buy the gear first :) I've ridden manual scooters (no clutch), but not bikes before so I'm a beginner. I'm not too sure about how much I need to budget for, or whether it is best to buy top of the range or what. There doesn't seem to be a whole heap of 2nd hand womans my size floating around, so I will need to budget for new gear. How much would you recommend spending on a helmet! Boots! Jacket! Pants! Gloves! Also is leather or textile better! And is a fullface helmet 100% necessary!

kazbanz, Jun 28, 5:01am
DSF--sorry to be blunt but how pretty do you think your face is!
Now imagine it covered in scabs (at best)
So yep I feel a full face is pretty important.
If you really don't like the enclosed feeling you might want to concider an adventure lid.Also you will find some helmets have a bigger vzor that leaves you feeling less enclosed.
Gear wise for a novice rider and /or a rider on a budget I tend to reccomend a good set of Cudura gear. It offers wet weather protection and accident protection in that its got armour. Not being rude youll likely find cudura is easier to get in ladies sizing.
You will find you can buy guys gear and it adjusts in pretty well to suit a lady but you'll find the arm lenth is too long in the jacket.
Budget wise to kit yourself out head to toe I'd work on about $1000
Thatll get you a decent but not top level lid
Decent touring boots (not the blingo race boots)
Decent gloves
Decent pants and jacket.
Incidently the item I get the most complaints from novices is the gloves.
Good fitting ladies gloves are frankly pretty awfull the first time you wear them
I'd sugest leaving your gloves soaking in a sink full of water then wear them as often as you can untill they dry. Youll fin they mould/stretch better to your hands that way

leighfrancesca, Jun 28, 5:03am
Buy the best that you can afford.Regarding the helmet, preferably buy brand new so that you know it hasn't been crashed in and make sure it's a proper fit.

turton, Jun 28, 5:05am
about a grand will get you adequate gear. If you can afford it, go for the leather stuff.

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 5:10am
Is it important to get a jacket with armor in it! I gather most leather jackets would just offer skin protection!

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 5:12am
And i'm glad thus far the general consensus is around $1000. So far I've budgeted for $1500, and will probs spend $500 of that on a helmet

kazbanz, Jun 28, 5:13am
Put simply as a learner rider you are more likely to have a "silly" crash.
This is where body armour is gold

turton, Jun 28, 5:14am
for good quality gear, $1500 is probably about right

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 5:15am
Also with regards to helmet, I do prefer black, but someone told me it's better to go for a coloured or white one as it's easier for you to be seen!

turton, Jun 28, 5:16am
black is good as it matches every colored bike. You can buy high vis vest things for $20 or so if you wanna be seen

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 5:21am
Yeah black is def preferred! Also with regards to a bike. I'm currently looking at a couple of Gn250's. I'm 65kg and 178cm, would this bike be light enough for me to maneuver comfortably!

turton, Jun 28, 5:26am
judging by your build, you may fit my leathers under my listing. Iv never ridden a gn250 before so not sure. I started on a klx 250 trail bike which was really light :)

docdoo, Jun 28, 5:34am
d_s_f, you have received some really good advice in this forum that I cannot really add to, however, having returned to riding again after a gap of over 50 years and absolutely loving it, I can only advise you to buy the best gear you can possibly afford, second hand is great, but not for a helmet which is imperative to buy new.Have a good look around too as I found sizing to be very different between brands.Have a look at this website http://www.rideforever.co.nz/getting-started/ for some great info.Stay safe & may your dreams come true.

berg, Jun 28, 6:14am
Have a good look through the bike gear here. 1tonne who sell on here do good leather boots and gloves and really good cordura jackets and pants all at a reasonable cost. I have also brought nice, barely worn gear on here for a fraction of its retail cost (3 Teknic jackets and none above $200) but you need to be able to try on a similar product so you know what sizes you wear. Not all bike gear is sized the same between brands. As for helmets, best full face you can afford as said above. But again, shop around. Got Mrs Berg a pink graphiced Shoei Raid2 for $550 at a motorbike shop sale when retail is normally $800 or so. I use a $400 (on special) AGV and find it very good. Leather is nice but a pain when it gets wet. Cordura tends to dry faster when the enevitable wet day ride happens.
As for GN250, many people have learnt to ride on them. Simple, cheap to maintain, cheap to fix and they don't have any bad handelling habits

red97, Jun 28, 6:22am
what color hair/eyes! just so i can advise on helmet selection.

berg, Jun 28, 6:29am
Other thing to remember, learner bike rules change in Oct freeing up a lot more bikes to learner riders. It unfortunately will make a GN250 virtually worthless as learners will be allowed bikes right up to 660cc if they comply. My suggestion if you are to buy a GN, grind them down to a price that reflects what is happening.
Edited to say, Mrs Berg is the same height and weight as you, started on a GN250, went to a Kawasaki ER6n and now riding a 2011 GSR750

gunhand, Jun 28, 6:43am
All great advise above so I may as well a line or two.
What kind of riding are you doing!
If your a commuter and ride only a short distance I would suggest a good leather jacket. ( ive had one for 28 years and still in good nick although I use Cordura mostly)
The reason for the leather jacket is they are easier to get off and on than heavy Cordura gear and they genereally dont restrict you head movement as bulkier jackets will. And make sure you try on a jacket while your wearing a few layers of normal clothing.
As for pants, id go with womans Draggin Jeans or similer. If you have to change into a skirt you will appreciate the ease you can get your pants off. Leather and Cordura tend to take a while unless there really really loose.
Its all about what your doing. If your going to tour or do long rides then Cordura is good stuff and very well priced.
As I said if your a short trip commuter you will get sick of the 20min process of getting kitted up just to ride 10 mins, then do it all again after work. So you do 4 times a day.
You can get water proof pants cheap and keep them on the bike for rainy days and they block the wind chill as well.
Helmet! well buy the best you can afford, anything from $150 to $1200 plus.
But a good helmet should be had for $250 or so. If you go to a shop and they let you test fit it yourself then walk away. You need someone who knows what there doin and how to test correct fit of the most important thing you will be wearing.
Gloves are reasonable price as well but again depends just what your doin. and dont believe the "water proof" labels some have.
Boots, about $200, but again, slip ons may suit you.
Theres a huge amount of gear out there so you have great choice these days and being "bright"Isnt a big deal anymore lol.
Have fun and keep ya wits about you.

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 6:46am
Thanks for your advice! With regards to the helmet, I know it sounds a little ridiculous - and I don't expect men to understand, but make-up + fullface helmets don't really go hand in hand, hence am looking for something which wont rub against my face so much.

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 6:49am
Oh wow, thats interesting! To be honest I think i'd be pretty happy with a 250cc bike. Have ridden lots of scooters which have been 125cc and they have all had enough acceleration power for me, so a 250 will be fine, but a little more fun :) Or would you recommend going for something with a little more power! I can definately upgrade in future, but would prefer to stick with the same bike for atleast a year or two. Am also wanting something powerful enough to cart a passenger and myself up hills. Main reason for purchase is to commute to/from work, plus a long distance ride every week or 2.

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 6:58am
Yeah not so worried about my hair, more worried about makeup building up on the interior foam of the helmet etc. But you're right, would definately rather keep my face :)

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 7:00am
Also another potential silly question. I'm assuming pants are always tucked into the boots! Yay, nay!

berg, Jun 28, 7:00am
Full face v open face, met a bloke on the ferry with a buggered full face helmet (chin guard broken and visor smashed). He was riding along enjoying himself when he saw the fist sized rock come off the truck coming toward him. Didn't even have time to duck before it plowed into his helmet. Imagine for a moment if he had been wearing an open face. Doesn't really bare thinking about.
As for the bigger bike thing, try a few and see what you like. Mrs Berg put 12,000km on her GN and had a ball doing it. Just be wary that 250s won't be worth what they are now after Oct

dinosaw88, Jun 28, 7:02am
Really! Thats great, got any more details or a link!

berg, Jun 28, 7:02am
Dry day I tuck mine in (or if I'm wearing my leathers) but on a wet day I leave them out so the water doesn't run into ya boots

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 7:03am
Eeek. definately doesn't bare thinking about. It will be mid-late August when I can afford the full get up anyway, so could even wait till after Oct. So at the moment, Gn250s are going for approx $2000, do you have any sort of expectation of what prices would drop to!