Approx $$ for motorbike gear for a learner?

Page 2 / 2
berg, Jun 28, 7:04am

berg, Jun 28, 7:09am
New and nearly new 250s will hold their price but I would expect the second hand market to take a hit. Hard to predict just how hard a hit but I would expect to see nice 250 Hornets etc with low kms for reasonable money. 250s have always been a must have bike but with the changes their need will be less

dinosaw88, Jun 28, 7:19am
Buggar.
GSX400 and GSXR 600U is allowed but GSXR 400R isnt.

desmodave, Jun 28, 7:26am
Hang on pal dont scars and limps give street cred .

richardmcf, Jun 28, 8:27am
The shop I work at can put ypu into Dririder gloves jacket and pants, sigma boots and an HJC CS14 helmet for $599.

Get the bike checked by some one who knows what they are doing ( our shop will do for $80 ish )
Don't expect prices to drop too much, if any thing some of the older 400cc to 600cc bikes will firm up in price.

$2k should get a GNU250 in reasonable nick, great learners bikes

kazbanz, Jun 28, 8:45am
On the bike frontdisco. The GN is a fantastic learners bike but generally you outgrow em pretty fast. My pesonal suggestion would be a Honda spada 250 or a VTR250given your height you will be comfortable on either bike

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 9:46am
Cheers for your help. Whats the name of the shop! If it's in Auckland i'll swing by when i'm back in NZ.

fryan1962, Jun 28, 10:48am
you can get a full face that opens it used to be a BMW helmet I think, but they have knock off ones, better to put on for your make up, do not cut cnrs in case you ever come off you need protection, I have ridden through a swarm of bees so protection was good, I was ridding on motorway
draggin jeans are good choice,look on trademe for your gear

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 11:01am
Cool thanks, yeah there are some nice looking womens draggin jeans! Maybe some draggins jeans plus a nice fitting leather jacket! Although admittedly i'm a bit of a fan of tight fitting leather pants, but leather pants plus leather jacket might look a little too intense for riding a little gn250 hahaha. There defs has to be an element of fashion, aswell as practicality

jock_in_nz, Jun 28, 11:05am
In Auckland, Barrys Point road Takapuna has about a dozen motorbike shops. All within walking distance of each other. Just start at one end of the street and and visit each one to see what special they have on.

Remember when buying gear don't get fixated on the price. Good gear can last a long time so choose something by fit and comfort than price alone,

fryan1962, Jun 28, 11:05am
I started with a honda chopper like the gn 250.Mine was CM 250 belt drive
jeans just more practical for work,bar, or whatever you do

and of course boots, here am i who rides in runners and boots in wardrobe, perhaps I should take some of my own advice

fryan1962, Jun 28, 11:07am
I did have leather jacket lined with rabbit, which could be removed which was good summer winter thing

solarboy, Jun 28, 1:09pm
I'm also a bit of a fan of women wearing tight fitting leather pants - post a pic for me when you're all kitted out if you like so we can all see how the good advice you've had here panned out .

disco_super_fly, Jun 28, 2:53pm
Ha! Only in your dreams. Might skip the leathers and get these babies instead http://www.dragginjeans.net/product/slix%20for%20women That way they're multi purpose and I wouldnt feel like such a trash bag walking around

pge, Jun 28, 8:51pm
OP, I had a wander through Coleman Suzuki on Wednesday, they had on display everything you appear to be needing, all in a package.

They had $795 pricetag.

Good luck to you, stay upright.

kazbanz, Jun 28, 8:55pm
Disco--talking to Mrs Kaz and a couple of other female freinds(bikers)
There is no way around the makeup issue You just don't put it onuntill you get where you are going.Incidently a lil secret is that you should though put lipstick on aparently its as good as chapstick for long rides.
The other feedback has been quite to the point- FORGET looking cool
When your kidneys are acheing or you are dripping wet from a decent rain shower or you have a gravel graze from a minor off suddenly you wont care about looking cool.
Jacket needs to come down to the backside (standing) so the waist isn't exposed. Draggin jeans dont fall apart but have no real impact protection and you will find you have friction burns if you have a crash

quickbuck, Jun 29, 2:36am
As Kaz said, forget about the make-up. Sorry. If a helmet is not firm on your cheeks, then your neck will snap like a twig. I am impressed you have thought about gear before the bike though. Well done.
The next thing to look at after you have the bike is some advanced tuition.
Stay upright, and enjoy the ride.

disco_super_fly, Jun 29, 8:26am
Thanks for your advice, and nooo 'looking cool' does certainly not come first! But yeah, ofcourse I would like gear which looks nice. And you can get the draggins with armor pockets sewn in and buy armor for them, i'm thinking hips and knee guards is a good start!

catchafan, Jun 29, 8:58am
Hay there. Would recomend a HondaVTR250 to learn on. And for affordable great quality gear at an excellent price. I recommend and so do stacks of my biking mates 1 tonne gear from Taranaki. Just search 1 tonne on here and you should find them.Happy and safe riding.

brokebloke1, Jun 29, 9:42am
ive been riding bikes for twenty odd years now here is a list of bikes Ive own in order of 1st to last
honda xl175 ( learnt basics on this not road worthy)
suzuiki GN250 got my learners on this had it for 7 yrs such great reliable bike.
trumphi 650 bonnie had her for about 12-14yrs
now I got a 1200 harley
I was taught and told by a policeman ( remember when most of them were on bikes!) that if you like crusier bikes learn on them if you like sports bikes learn on them,
Ive got nothing about against sports bikes just love cruisers,
pick the bike style you like
And get the best safety gear that you can afford at moment

kazbanz, Jun 29, 10:19pm
During summer I guess draggin's will be ok if commuting.
STRICTLY my personal opinion here but I don't rate em.I prefer to be warm and dry if road riding.On that basis I prefer cudura.
I guess its because dauckland in my experience is 4 seasons in one hour.

disco_super_fly, Jun 30, 2:56am
Thankkyou for your advice :) Now regarding a gn250, are the models from year to year pretty much stock standard the same! Or is there a particular year vast improvements were made etc! So far i'm aiming for something from 2004-2006, $1600-$2300