Is it silly to get a 125cc motorbike instead of a

disco_super_fly, Jul 15, 10:00am
250cc! I was originally looking at a GN250, but am considering a GN125 because they're considerably cheaper. I'm a 65kg female, and am mainly wanting a bike to commute (with a passenger sometimes) and intend on doing weekend trips out of town.

catweazle, Jul 15, 10:08am
A 125cc bike should be capable of doing 100 kph. My Suzuki FX125 can do 110 kph and more with two people.

However at highway speeds the ride will not be very comfortable for any journey of length. The vibration will wear you out.

But 125cc bikes are much easier to ride around town - being so much lighter you have much more control instead of the other way around.

Remember that the 125cc class of bikes are huge in Asia - because they are just so much more fun and economical than larger bikes.

I also have a 1,000cc Varadero. Years ago I owned a 1000cc Gold Wing and a Honda 50. Go the little bikes - they are so much fun. Big bikes are great for country touring - intermediate bikes are stuck in the middle - not generally optimal for anything.

250cc bikes are mostly big in NZ because of the driver's license learner rules. They are not generally optimal for around town riding or country touring. It is my view that they only sell in quantity because of the licensing laws.

outbidyou2, Jul 15, 10:29am
Go the 250, two up on a GN250 is a stretch at best let alone a 125.

pebbles61, Jul 15, 10:31am
If you're gonna get a GN, get the 250.

r.g.nixon, Jul 15, 10:36am
I like the reviews of the Hyosung GT250 RN 2012

mrfxit, Jul 15, 9:05pm
Totally agree about size
The 125 will be fine around town by your self but heavy to control with a pillion.
The 125 on the open road in todays traffic will have you frustrated/stressed/ vibrated to heck & very possibly dumped on the side of the road at some stage just by having a truck & trailer unit go past a bit to close to you. (back draft wash), never mind the other idiots cage drivers around that love to play with little bikes.

The 250 will generally be a lot better with a pillion & on the open road then pretty much ANY 125

mrfxit, Jul 15, 9:08pm
it's not so much about Speed, but far more about .

Gross bike weight
Engine torque
Tyre size
Chassis strength

Generally speaking, the bigger the bike = less stress

desmodave, Jul 15, 9:28pm
The down side of having a small bike is you dont have the power should you need to get out the way in a hurry .All bikes are fun but if you cant get out the way you get run over.

sifty, Jul 15, 9:50pm
Yes the 125 may be fine on your own, but will struggle two-up.
As an aside, do you have your full licence!

I thought you were unable to take pillion passengers until that was held, and if that is the case you have far more options as for models available.

kazbanz, Jul 15, 9:56pm
Whats your budget disco! Did you get all the gear now!

pebbles61, Jul 15, 10:33pm
Don't forget the 250cc limit is going this October
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/approved-motorcycles.html

ianrich, Jul 15, 11:55pm
Personally I would go for a second hand VL250 Intruder for little more money than a new GN. They are a lot more capable and comfortable on the open road and still easy to handle around town. Sure it will cost a bit more to buy but in my opinion the VL is a far better bike.

sr2, Jul 16, 12:01am
+1: The GN was a great entry level bike but it has well and truly had its day.