What should I look out for, 99 AU Falcon 4.0?

bjdw, Jun 24, 12:43am
Considering buying this car, it has 250,000 on the clock.What in particular should I look out for in this!

Common faults!

Thanks.

tgray, Jun 24, 12:45am
Avoid ones with over 400,000k's otherwise your probably OK.
"what to look at for!" Not resale value as there won't be any.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 24, 12:48am
Faulty electric windows.

bjdw, Jun 24, 12:51am
Yep, I figured that one out.I've got it for a few weeks before I decide wether or not to buy it.

don_logan, Jun 24, 1:06am
Look for rust around and under boot area and back window. Check the automatic carefully, Check for brake shudder and suspension knocks and clonks. Also, dont they have a problem with loose steering racks! I would expect the engine at those km to be a minter. But the auto's can give problem if they have not been serviced.

gunhand, Jun 24, 1:17am
Yep thats a givin LOL.
Check wheel alignment is up to date and its not wearing tyres out on the edges.
The suspension bushes etc as well should be checked.
Any leaks around motor of oil, water and trans fluid.
Make sure heater and air con are working properly.
What model are you looking at as some have more bits and peices than others.
Really just the same things you would look out for in every other car.
Parts are quite cheap and not being overly sophisticated cars easy to replace etc.
The later ones are better by all accounts but thats not saying the one you are looking at wont be but if you can find a later one for same money conditon etc go for it.
I would suggest you try and drive a couple of different ones to compare, you would be surprised in the difference two cars the same can be.
Check for rust under parcel tray in boot and where the boot hinges mount into the body. If its rusty walk away as it wont be a cheap fix.
There still thousands getting about so that tells you something.

unbeatabull, Jun 24, 1:54am
RE: The steering racks - there was a service bulletin come out for these to have the studs welded in, so if it hasn't had that done a Ford Dealer should do for free, however from my understanding all the AU's in NZ have been done.

Main area's of concern are leaking waterpump at the pipe at the back - the o-ring is common to leak on these, suspension knocks, while easy to fix and cheap still nice to be mindful about, Windows 99% of the time is just a switch that needs cleaning. Trans's can leak in the transcooler so if it is one that goes to the radiator can be a good idea to get an external transcooler, expecially if you plan on towing. Otherwise they also leak at the rear seal, extension housing gasket, pan gasket and both servo gaskets. Also check condition of oil and that it is at the right level, it should be a red colour and not smell burnt or have dirt/particles in it. Rust around the boot and rear window as well.

If you have a choice the AUII and AUIII are much nicer cars, they have the newer brake calipers on the front and stop quite a bit faster, the AUI still have the old front brake setup from the E Series.

Everything else with them is really just general servicing stuff, brakes, rotors, shoes, coolant etc.

We have many come into work with over 500,000k's on them (usually taxis) and still going strong, as long as been regularly serviced the engine, trans and diff will go forever.

granada, Jun 24, 2:26am
Check the glove box, you can find all sorts of interesting facts about the cars history, servicing, past wof fails, over heating problems etc.The good old glove box can deveulgea wealth of decision making facts.

brokebloke1, Jun 24, 5:19am
I agree with gunhand drive at least 2-3 of them they do differ greatly,
We looked at over 10 different models from Std futura to top of the line fairmont ghia we chosed a 2001 AU2 XR6 with 142000kms, only things we have done to it are, transmission flush,oil and filter changes, new sparkplugs and leads and new main drive belt , this has to be one of the best cars we have ever owned so reliable and nice to drive too

whqqsh, Jun 24, 5:32am
my s/wagon has been pretty good but bottoms of doors passenger side are rusting & around tailgate/bootlid. When I bought it the rear doorlocks were faulty & would unlock the whole car (autosparky reckons generic solenoids used on fords & holdens & cheap to fix). Trans doesnt have a filler/dipstick so maybe flushed & filled.
I have just done my alternator, waterpump & belt tensioner in one hit but mines nearly 300,000k & the removed parts were all originals

bjdw, Jun 24, 9:37am
Actually had a look at the odo and the k's are 303 not 250.
The airbag light stays on.
The radiator has straight water in and the reservoir is stained dark brown.
The oil is thick and deep black.
The temperature doesn't seem to come up far enough, the demister blows cold air even after half an hour driving (no thermostat!).
The front suspension makes clunking noises even over small bumps like manhole covers (steering still feels nice and tight though).
And there was a wire going into the fuse box and jammed in under a fuse (which I pulled out and now the radio doesn't work).

So, even at $2500 I think it's a no.(Should the fact that it has 4 brand new tyres make a difference! probably not.)

gunhand, Jun 24, 9:39am
Sounds like its one of the "hard life" ones.Keep looking theres others out there.

franc123, Jun 24, 9:49am
Not really much point in landing yourself with a dog when you can get reasonably good ones for 35-4500, perhaps a bit more for an XR6. Vehicles like the one you looked at are usually being dumped because the owner knows big bills are coming up and they are hoping a bunny will come along and see a cheap price and not notice/care about their years of neglect.

bjdw, Jun 24, 9:56am
Haha, the owner has decided to become a "Mozzie" and left the car in her mums driveway to rot, but yeah, neglect is certainly the right word methinks.

don_logan, Jun 24, 10:06am
If you feel like a project, crack him real hard on the price. Otherwise keep looking. Lots of them out there, I dont think $2500 is a good price anyway for an Au.