2003 Demio Charge Warning Light

shore_girl, Jun 16, 7:57am
Hi, the charge warning light has come on in the wifes car tonight. Car starts fine, but with lights on nearly stops. Have access to a volt meter so going to test tomorrow.
Can someone let me know what voltage reading I should be getting when car is running! Car has done about 95,000km. After reading a few mazda forums I am of the assumption that the alternator is stuffed. Whats the going rate these days for a reco'd alternator/ getting our one re built! Any other ideas as to what may be wrong welcomed. TIA

shore_girl, Jun 16, 8:34am
Yep, first thing I checked tonight when she came inside to tell me.

bigfatmat1, Jun 16, 8:59am
Around 14 not higher than 15v The alternator on these has a dummy regulator the actual regulator is inside the cars ecu. Generally the alt is at fault not the regulator. if the warning light is on and you have a batt supply on big terminal of alternator its a pretty safe assumption alt is faulty!

bae13, Jun 16, 10:13am
Like bigfatmat1. Said the reg is in the engine ecu. I recommend you get it to an auto sparky to confirm it is that type and also to diagnose it correctly

kazbanz, Jun 16, 10:21am
OP exactly what symbol is comeing up on the dash!

shore_girl, Jun 16, 10:38am
Small red battery shaped light on the dash. When I went out to have a look I started it and this light stayed on.

ceebee2, Jun 16, 11:38pm
Most common alternators, I charge $90.00 with new brushes fitted, they rarely need bearings.

shore_girl, Jun 17, 1:48am
Can I grab a contact # or you can txt me on zero two 7 4 808 five eight three

shore_girl, Jun 17, 2:10am
Right, just tested the battery and the alternator. Battery is reading around 12.3v when car is off and when car is running the battery reads about 11.8v.
At the alternator when the car is running I am getting around the same reading as what the battery is. I noticed the battery light stays off for 2-3 seconds after start up then turns back on, and all the dials shoot round to max readings then back to normal position!

shore_girl, Jun 17, 2:56am
Just went a moved the car to around the back of the house and no battery warning light on. WTF! Left it idling for 10 mins and tested the voltage with car running and getting a consistent 14.30v at 2000rpm and 13.17v with the car switched off. Tried starting it 3 times in a row with no issues.
Is it a possibility the battery is on the way out!
My wife has had it die after 10 mins a few weeks ago when she was sitting with just the radio on. Not sure age of battery but I know that the cold can cause havoc with them. It was around 4c last night when she went to go out at 8pm up our way!

mugenb20b, Jun 17, 2:57am
It won't be a battery fault.

bigfatmat1, Jun 17, 3:45am
as above not a battery fault but a intermittent alternator fault biggest cause of symptoms you describe is worn brushes

shore_girl, Jun 17, 4:51am
Ok thanks all for your help. Off to the Auto Sparky tomorrow morning. Can anyone recommend a good one in the Albany Area!

ceebee2, Jun 17, 5:00am
If you can wait till the 28th June, you can call me then, working on an oil rig at present.

ceebee2, Jun 17, 5:01am
If you cannot wait then I would recommend a Takapuna Auto Sparky called Milford Auto Electrical. They are excellent but are really expensive.

http://www.milfordautoelectrical.co.nz/

shore_girl, Jun 17, 5:07am
Cant really wait as its the wife's car for doing the school run etc. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks

shore_girl, Jun 19, 1:02am
Took the car in to the auto sparky and the alternator is the issue. Cant justify the labour cost and as my bro is a panel beater he is going to change it for me. Any tips on getting the alternator out with out disconnecting the air con etc as it is a very tight fit. The auto sparky said 2 hrs taking it out and putting a new one in but Im not sure after looking at what has to be done to remove the unit.

kazbanz, Jun 19, 1:16am
It looks to me like you need to put a jack under the motor and remove the right top engine mount. Two bolts undoes the alt and it LOOKS like it will slide up to the right side and out.