Paint touch up

blackcat17, May 30, 4:07am
Hi, I have an old beater, a Mazda MX6 which I have done some body repairs on the sunroof and a small bit of the roof. I want to paint it to some basic level so its not primer for the rest of its life.

Whats my best bet, can I get some paint mixed to the right colour and have a crack with a air spray gun, or am I best to get a spray can - if thats possible! I'm in Wgtn.

dinosaw88, May 30, 4:50am
Any paint store can match the paint. Take in your petrol flap or something. Its cheap as anything too.

gunhand, May 30, 5:41am
IT IS!

lookoutas, May 30, 5:52am
What is!

attitudedesignz, May 30, 5:54am
Painting ya car apparently lol.

gunhand, May 30, 5:55am
The Paint! Cheap as anything apparently.I supose if you only wanted 100mls it maybe though

petermcg, May 30, 5:56am
Make sure you get laquer paint as you cant touch up with any thing else. Rubbing compound a large area around the wound,, and when finished rubbing compound (cut) the whole area.

rob_man, May 30, 6:06am
It is in New Plymouth, there's this guy called John down there.

attitudedesignz, May 30, 6:15am
Don't remind me

gammelvind, May 30, 7:37am
He did say he wanted to paint it to a basic level, a $30 matched spray can will do just that. Solid colours may look ok (ish) just wait till he does a silver, that will look special.

attitudedesignz, May 30, 7:43am
Didn't some of those MX-6s come out in Passion Rose Pearl (J4)! That will be even better LMAO

blackcat17, May 30, 8:24am
Its a Dark Green with sort of a blue tinge the colour code on the VIN says VQ which google reckons is "Nobel Green". Actually not a bad colour.

gammelvind, May 30, 8:43am
You will probably find that it is what we call basecoat/clearcoat. Get a spraycan made up in the colour (basecoat) the with a spraycan of clear finish the job with a couple or three coats of clear. Will be a pretty basic job but will look better than just the primer. Good luck.

johnf_456, May 30, 9:26am
Really

supernova2, May 30, 10:24am
Maybe Bunnings and some roof paint perhaps!Really!

blackcat17, Jun 17, 12:50am
Update; I took in the petrol flap, plus the colour code but they said the paint had not faded so a colour match wasn't needed, got a couple of sprays cans and so far the finish is really good. The only problem is it shows how shit my bogging and sanding is! I guess being dark green doesn't help. Looked and felt smooth-as to me, I've got a bit to learn I guess.

ceebee2, Jun 17, 5:19am
It's cause you haven't built up the primer coat thickness and "blocked" it back several times.