Looking for a cheap runaround. is this ok?

candii06, Jul 16, 4:20am
Have been looking around at a few larger cars for $1800 & under. Came across an oldie on sella.co.nz. Looked on there because some trademe cars are overpriced atm. is the car in the link generally ok! or is it a run away situation! http://www.sella.co.nz/motoring/cars/mazda/cgm4kb/thanks guys

flybye_in_a_rx7, Jul 16, 4:26am
why do u want a 2.5L for a cheap runaround. i'd be looking for a smaller car if it was for a cheap runaround

kazbanz, Jul 16, 4:30am
its an oxymoron wanting an economical 2.5l -but worse a purple gearbox eater (mazda eunos 800) --definitely run away. -In this case its a case of too good to be true

splinter67, Jul 16, 4:33am
did you not read the op
Not sure about this one though if you look at the engine picture it looks a bit brown around the airbox meaning it might have been overheated if so run as fast as you can

phillip.weston, Jul 16, 4:36am
Nice enough car to drive but not a good car to own when things go wrong. 250,000kms on one of them is getting a bit high, it's usually about the time the engines blow head gaskets and the transmissions start slipping or not engaging any gear at all. I would get it fully checked out mechanically and pay close attention to its service history. If the owner cannot provide any history for the last few years I would probably walk away.

bellky, Jul 16, 4:40am
I agree with this poster.

tigra, Jul 16, 4:46am
I ran one of these for about 3 years with around 180,000 on it. Comfortable car, mine had 4ws, but had most problem with electrics.Engine and Tranny were good as gold.

djazza, Jul 16, 5:02am
We just sold one recently on $1 reserve, 1995 done around 130,000km. Sold for about $1400.

200sx, Jul 16, 5:43am
Personally I wouldn't touch one at that mileage. If that sort of price range is your budget the priority should be reliability. If you need something larger look at a mid-90s Falcon or Commodore variant. For $2k there are heeaaaapps to choose from, meaning you can find one that has been looked after and isn't a timebomb - the trending of fuel prices has also made it a buyers market. And you will probably have similar fuel consumption with a Holden or Ford if you do the typical urban/motorway stuff. Otherwise look at a 1300cc or 1600cc Jappa - Corolla, Sentra/Pulsar as a start if size isn't everything. Good luck

ambo11, Jul 16, 5:50am
Had one of these about 6 years ago, the fuel usage was incredible for a smallish V6, need to tow a trailer behind you full of cash for gas alone.
A V8 Falcon would have been more economical. I sold it and boughta 3 litre V6 Toyota Windom.another horrible mistake.

candii06, Jul 16, 11:34am
had a quick look at the eunos this afternoon. seemed ok. but you guys are obviously not fond of them so will give it a miss at this stage.

sinet, Jul 16, 7:51pm
Agree, that is a high mileage.

the-lada-dude, Jul 16, 8:02pm
please note the V6bit in posts !frankly i just wouldn't touch any thing with a V6 in it.this bad rap started with the ford Mk ivzephyras always there are a couple of exceptions to the rule,but i probably would'nt buy those anyway for other reasons

scoobeey, Jul 16, 8:32pm
recent wof and reg but selling as is mmmmm more thamn meets the eye

chebry, Jul 16, 8:55pm
The 2.5 V6 in the old MK4 got a bad rep mostly due to people not understanding the header tank the 3L was better but modern V6 engines are nothing like the old Essex.

kazbanz, Jul 16, 10:31pm
V6 nissan cefiro of the same era is not a bad bit of kit

the-lada-dude, Jul 17, 12:54am
mmmmm,you would know, being in the trade and all,tell me how much to get a motor garage to replace the spark plugs, head gaskets, cam belts, at a motor garage !ex pensive ! same goes for any non inline engine,you end up doubling up.also it seems to me that most modern v6 cars seem to have more transmission problems. pretty sure they try and use 4cyl model trans & don't up rate it enough / or at all for a v6.i steer all my customers away from these car / engine combinations if at all possible. or am i completely twisted in my thought process !don't answer that question !

ceedoubleyou, Jul 17, 2:59am
back in 2005, I bought a Mazda Astina 2.0L V6 with 160k on it, gave nothing but trouble, just lil' things, but when it was going, it went like a rocket. Car ran into the back of it on the motorway, only shorten it by an inch, but insurance co. wrote it off. With the money I bought a Nissan Pulsar 1.5L absolutely gutless, but it gave bugger all trouble.

kazbanz, Jul 17, 3:23am
tld- Nissan cefiro of that era is a chain drive so no cambelt. They dont have a rep for blowing head gaskets -In fairness I've never heard of it happening.Cefiro's again Ive not heard of tranz issues at all.
So in this case the only issue is 2 extra spark plugs ever 100000km. Ohh and the starter motor is a pain to get in and out.
So I dont see the issue at all

the-lada-dude, Jul 17, 5:32am
how easy is it to get to the rear bank of s/plugs !most of the east / west v6 engines have $32 s ! plugsx 6then you usually have to disassemble the T / Bto even get to the bastards,but as i said .there are exceptions to the rule

the-lada-dude, Jul 17, 5:34am
christCHEBRY .i think the header tank was the last of the ford 2.5 V6 problems !

barrie2, Jul 17, 5:49am
OP - looking at feedbacks and sella stuff I would spend a few more dollars and look on here. Trademe has it's scoundrels but also a lot of good guys to help with Q & A.

splinter67, Jul 17, 5:49am
I have a 91 3L v6 NZ new cammry 400 +ks not much can keep up with it changing back sparkplugs not that hard easier than my old Holden with a small block 400 in it

oddbits, Jul 17, 8:52am
doesnt look like a cheap runaround, be good on the open road but round town will suck the gas ,