Mitsubishi Delica van with weird problem

petermcg, Aug 9, 6:59am
This van of mine has a 4g63 1997cc petrol engine and is automatic, with manual choke fitted. Motor is in very good condition, runs grey pipe, economy ok, does not burn oil runs quiet.
When we take it for a run, usually its 160 ks there and back to hit the city. Temperature guage never gets up very high and heater is not so good,,, what the problem is that a few ks down the road, the engine looses power, full throttle and slowing down, the only remedy is to stop, switch of for about 20 seconds and then it drives off OK,, when it plays up it just feels like the choke is on or something. It can do this quite a few times and is worse in the cold we think, also it is usually when going up a hill , and often we get home with out a hitch.

dent, Aug 9, 7:04am
id say you have a thermostat issue and possibly the carb is frezzing up. Make sure the heat pipe from the exhaust to the inlet is there and replace the thermostat.

mugenb20b, Aug 9, 8:22am
Blocked fuel filter.

bigfatmat1, Aug 9, 8:26am
What he said.

or faulty coil

faybian, Aug 9, 8:51am
i think thermostat

supernova2, Aug 9, 8:58am
If its the one i think it is it has a water heated choke assembly.Ive had two now where the ali stubs on the carb have corroded and the gung has almost blocked the water flow.10mins work with some comp air and all sorted.

unclejake, Aug 9, 10:08am
A grey pipe is a thing of the past unless you are running Avgas (for now).

Look again Peter (can I call you that!)

owene, Aug 9, 11:56am
Sounds like a seized rear door hinge valve.

petermcg, Sep 28, 11:07am
OK every one of these things has got me thinking, with the exception of the DH Valve, I think I will start with the thermostat and cooling system, get the air out of the system and get it up to correct operating temp first, and then maybe work through the others. The choke has been converted to manual by disconnecting the auto part, and welding an arm on to the butterfly shaft to connect to cable. It was stuck on when we got it and I just couldnt find a way to fix it at the time. I will send the boy out again to check the pipe, it is grey on the outside.