Suzuki Cultus - Opinions please :)

jasongroves, Aug 1, 9:25am
Looking at a 1996 Cultus Cresent wagon.
Its manual and has the 1500cc GA15A engine.
Just over 130,000Km.
Seems to be a decent wee wagon for the money, although does have a couple of faults:
Some noise up front under braking and a consistent noise from the rear.
Had a wee look on Autodata and the only 2 common faults appear to be noisy front brakes due to the friction material used and rear wheel bearing failure caused by water increase into the hubs.
Replacing pads is no worry but are the hubs/bearings a major issue as its not something I have ever had to do!
There is also some knocking coming from the front left wheel, which I need to investigate.
Anyone have experience with these cars! (good or bad)
Generally reliable enough! (has decent service history)
All opinions appreciated.(except 'Buy a Fiat/VW.' etc etc.Jazz:)

mugenb20b, Aug 1, 9:35am
I've never done a front wheel bearing on a Cultus, but have done lots of other fwd cars. Removing the old bearing at home can take some effort, but not difficult. You will need an angle grinder, a chisel and a big MF hammer (that's once you've removed the hub from the vehicle).

Fitting a new bearing requires a press, or two people, a big hammer and a big socket that's the same size as the bearing. In fact, go on you tube and search for 'eric the car guy', he's good at explaining stuff.

As for the vehicle itself, they are good, but feel a little bit tinny. If the price is good, then that's not something to worry about.

franc123, Aug 1, 9:38am
I don't think they are as well made as other similar Jap cars, many examples I've driven too seem to have not only chassis/drivetrain noises but lots of random squeaks and rattles too Talking examples that have done over 120ish k's. They don't give the impression of quality or something that would be fun to live with on a daily basis. Not easy to get aftermarket bits for either, often its Suzuki or nothing. Haven't heard of any unreliability issues as such.

jasongroves, Aug 1, 9:46am
Cheers guys.
The price is good when comparing it to other vehicles of the same vintage but you are both right.when I think back to the test drive. It was a bit 'tinny' feeling and there were a few rattles etc.
The drive train seemed decent but the rest.not so much.
Might just keep looking as there is no rush.

countrypete, Aug 1, 9:47am
I've got a '96 Baleno 1.6 done 180ish kms.It's been completely reliable and has only had regular servicing.Some had issues with the gearbox, but this may be different for a 1.5 - not sure.They are plain cars, but very economical, and the wagons are quite roomy for their size (I've got one of those too - 1.8 manual)Great value for money.

neville48, Aug 1, 10:33am
I have a 96 1.8 manual and it goes really well and cheap to run etc, bought it at 149k and had to replace all 4 shocks for next wof and the clear coat is peeling badly, same as my vitara same year and colour.

dent, Aug 1, 10:50am
just be aware some were 4wd so could be a diff noise.

sgrants, Aug 1, 10:50am
I got one for the Mrs, the 1500 engine is a bit under powered and the 4 wd system is completely useless, in saying that it is reasonable on fuel and so far after replacing the clutch and cv boots it has been reliable 150,000 on the clock but has been wound back!

jasongroves, Aug 1, 10:11pm
Thanks all. Will have a 2nd look with a clearer head and new information today.
I feel a bit daft for not even thinking that it might be 4WD:)

sgrants, Aug 2, 9:19am
Ha Ha , I didn't know ours was 4wd until I checked it out to fit a towbar! the guy I bought it off didn't even know it was 4wd !!!!