'99 Volvo V40 2.0T wagon - thoughts?

Page 2 / 2
phillip.weston, Aug 2, 7:44am
one thing which puts me off the 156 a bit too is the poor crash test rating, just look at the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=R0agTZgMnbY

I'm surprised it even gets a 3 star rating, the V40 gets a 4 star using a Japanese tin-can chassis, why can't the Alfa!!

I was considering a late '90s 156 V6 back when I had my '93 Galant VX-R V6, and other than the nice Italian styling and prestige the Galant did just about everything the 156 did. and the kicker was the Galant carried the SAME crash test rating of the 156, despite being a 6+ year older design.

phillip.weston, Aug 2, 7:50am
I don't think the GDI S40/V40 is even available in Australia, in fact I barely saw any in NZ.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 7:50am
What crash test rating!

The 156 was never NCAP tested. was there an Aussie test!

Not to discount the video but I would take it with a grain of salt. It was done by a German outfit who in their own 156 review didn't actually tear strips off it from a safety perspective at all. (rated it average, no mention in the text of it being particularly unsafe). We don't know what speed it was crashed at in that video and there is even some talk that the test in the video was actually set up to test windscreen sealant not the car. (but I don't know if I believe that myself)

Then you have to consider that the car came out in 1997 and that the Volvo you are referencing scored about as good as cars got at that time.

Plus, the Alfa has lots of "preventative" safety like excellent brakes, ABS etc.

Not saying its a super safe car by any means, but I think its given a harder time than it deserves.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 7:51am
Possibly wasn't. I have seen a number in NZ but then my Volvo radar is probably a bit more sensitive than yours!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 2, 7:51am
Got to run for a bit, best of luck with finding a fun car!