Removing paint splatter.

mrploppy, Jul 28, 8:57am
Our car, a green 2000 Toyota Vitz, has white spray paint splatter over the bonnet. The splatter is in tiny white blobs. I have managed to remove the smallest ones with rubbing compound, but am a bit worried to try the larger ones. I am thinking of applying paint remover with a pencil brush first, but not sure about the effect on the car's finish. Any advice would be welcome.

00quattro00, Jul 28, 8:59am
Flatten it off with a bit of 1000 grit sandpaper and buff it

gunhand, Jul 28, 8:59am
God no, dont go anywhere near it with paint stripper. First what kind of paint is on it!

kazbanz, Jul 28, 9:00am
I:d find an unobtruesive area and DAB at the paint spots with thinners on a rag. -if the blobs come off then work your way over the bonnet ^removing the thinners quickly with another soft clean ragso it has minimal effect on the clearcoat. THEN wait a few hours for the clearcoat to go hard again and use a fine cutting polish to broing back the shine

gunhand, Jul 28, 9:01am
If its blobs, the 1000 grit can scuff the top but damage or cut throught the clear before the paint blobs are removed.

snoopy221, Jul 28, 9:09am
Or the ole *scotchbrite*-LOL

grangies, Jul 29, 7:12am
Have you tried vigorously picking at them with your finger nails! . It is amazing what your finger nails will remove lol.

Otherwise you could try knocking them off, with a blunt piece of sheet-metal. Like a putty knife or bog spreader etc. Keep it as flat as you can and push it against the paint splatter, then give it a gentle but quick nudge.

gunhand, Jul 29, 7:17am
He hasnt bothered coming back to answer questions so can't be to worried
. I had a few suggestions but if he wont come back why bother.
Hey, have you ever come across dried house paint on a car before!Awsome task getting it off.not.

grangies, Jul 29, 7:34am
Only once, and hopefully never again lol.

It's something I'll probably never forget too. Was on a Toyota Surf that was too close to a farm shed being painted through a pressure pot with white enamel.

Was only about a week old , so I grey scotched the paintwork with scuff-stuff, and cut it with the buff.

All the glass cleaned up easily witha razor. But the rubbers were never the same again even after many hours of hand cutting and finger nail scraping.

Can't remember what the bill came to, but wasn't cheap.

gunhand, Jul 29, 7:38am
I had to attend a guy in the ambo who fell off a ladder and bust his leg, I said dont worry bout ya leg get someone to hose the 4 plus ltrs of wet house paint that fell on his newish car.Messy messy business lol.

singing1, Jul 29, 12:14pm
If its house paint (acrylic)Meths will remove it without a problem.

pollymay, Jul 29, 2:48pm
I just painted a tractor that my grandfather painted with house paint "to do it up a bit". I've never in my life spent so many hours with a wire buff cleaning off paint. I'd rate it a 9 out of 10 on the scale of hard to prep. Being that there is no flat sides like a car and you have to do all the underneath to I was laying on my back getting showered with the stuff as the big buffer ripped up where I could get it. Then where that didn't work and the pressure washer didn't work and solvents didn't work I had to get in there by hand to do a nice job. Found niceties like how he had repaired the rust holes in the rims with builders fill and foam to.

My grandfather is now banned from being allowed near housepaint or builders foam.

attitudedesignz, Jul 29, 8:13pm
And tractors aye.

mrploppy, Jul 30, 5:41am
Thank you for the replies & suggestions. I spent most of Sunday afternoon getting the larger blobs off OK but the smaller ones are a bit stubborn. The paint is from a laquer spray can, hence a bit more difficult to remove. The rubbing compound has taken the shine from the surface, so I have to get some paste polish to finish (liquid polish did not seem to do a sufficient job).