Ba falcon wagon shuddering

oooooowwwwww, Jul 23, 4:29am
hey guys, I will take it to the mechanic at some stage, but just wondering if anyone can shed any light on what the problem may be.
Our falcon has just started shuddering. It doesn't do it every drive, only about 30% of the time, but when it does it its quite bad.
When it does happen it starts as soon as the car is turned on, and continues for the whole drive, except for when there is no acceleration.
There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens, it just happens randomly.
I know that our rear diff needs replacing but I wouldn't think thats what it causing it, so, before I go and pay a fortune to have it checked out, could any of you wise people shed some light on what it may be!

monaro17, Jul 23, 4:33am
engine mount perhaps! My Commodore does a shudder when you surpass 120km/h (closed road of course :))

NZTools, Jul 23, 4:38am
crook spark plug or plug lead.

m16d, Jul 23, 4:41am
Yer. crook plug.

oooooowwwwww, Jul 23, 4:42am
oh good, that shouldn't be too expensive to fix then if that is the case right! in the year we have had it it has needed a new transmission, currently needs a rear diff, plus a bunch of other problems. its costing a fortune so it will be nice to have something that is nice and easy (and cheap) to fix for a change!

monaro17, Jul 23, 4:45am
Just read again and saw it happens when the car is turned on. i'd say a high tensile lead or spark plug like the others

4piggy, Jul 23, 9:26am
ignition coil or spark plugs, do plugs first if you dont know when they were last done

gunhand, Jul 23, 9:29am
You have had it a year and all thats gone wrong!How many KMs and was it dealer sorced or private!

hfc2, Jul 25, 7:19am
unusual for ba , check engine mounts and or drive shaft. must have been flogged!.

zephyrheaven, Jul 25, 7:26am
Plug leads on a BA lol
Might want to check the points gap too 8P

unbeatabull, Jul 25, 7:38am
Plugs/Coils are a bit of a problem once they get up above 120,000+k's. Be sure to check tracing up the plug & in the boot from the Coil to Plug. Otherwise could also be a Coil.

Could be something completely else as well. They knock/bang quite badly when the engine mounts go.

Could be the diff, or more accurately, the Axles. Have seen a few get bent/out of round before that can cause a vibration, or could be a pinion or ring gear. Wouldn't of thought it would be a Shudder as such though.

Could also be leaking manifold gaskets, fuel issues, etc. Hard to tell without actually being in the vehicle and seeing if it is engine/trans related or otherwise

steve98h, Jul 25, 8:13am
crook plug. very comonly causes this with the twin cam falcon. also the bas a really common for the coil on cylinder 6 for failing

oooooowwwwww, Jul 25, 10:08pm
yeah i know, it had done 90,000 when we brought it, now has done about 120,000 (we live ruraly). brought it from a dealer, we did our research and this dealer has a great reputation etc, it seems we just managed to pick the lemon. oh its dual fuel as well if that makes any difference.

unbeatabull, Jul 26, 6:39am
Factory or aftermarket! I assume the other fuel is LPG!

The LPG systems do need regular servicing and do often get overlooked. Have seen similar problems with LPG Coons in the past, but that was on a factory setup so if yours is aftermarket I can't really help as don't have much experience with them.