Blown radiator hose BA Falcon

spacies_nz, Nov 4, 12:55am
Coming down the Pakuranga Hgwy this morning in traffic doing about 50km I heard the fans kick in. About 1km later steam from under the bonnet. I had only driven 4km in total. Top radiator hose in split clean open. Temp guage only went ot 3/4 before i pulled in to a side road and stopped.

It has the H motor and only done 114km.

Could I just replace the hose! Or could it be deeper than that!

TIA

spacies_nz, Nov 4, 1:08am
Ta. Pressure testing has to be done by a pro!

curlcrown, Nov 4, 1:24am
just eplace he hose. The perish over tme.

redmouse, Nov 4, 5:15am
Its a FORD what did you expect!

spacies_nz, Nov 4, 6:03am
I replaced the hose and drove it home. Seems all good. There is some oil/water under the radiator cap but the oil in the sump is fine. Could it have blown the head gasket!

Worse thing is, its not even my car! Mine is in the shop getting the cam belt/water pump changed and I borrowed my mates car. Only had it yesterday and today and I have only driven it from Howick to Remuera twice! You reckon he set me up! LOL

spacies_nz, Nov 4, 6:31am
I think I may have figured it out.

After a bit of research it seems these BAs have a common problem where the transmission oil cooler bursts and trans fluid gets in to the cooling system. The trans cooler is inside the radiator which would explain the strawberry milkshake under the radiator cap and not under the oil cap or in the sump. It needs an external trans cooler put on it and bung up the stupid idea of running the cooler inside the radiator!

I think I got lucky here because from what I have read water gets in to the trans and completely screws it.

:)

johnf_456, Jan 29, 6:45am
How is this helpful!